How to partly sell a fixed asset?

Hi all,

I am looking for a quick way to partly sell a fixed asset, this means I posted the acquisition of a fixed asset and now want to sell a part (parts) of it, reducing the book value. If I post a sale in S&R the fixed asset will be completely disposed. This is not the required result. I have the possibility in Fixed Asset G/L Journal to post a negative acquisition against a G/L account and then post a G/L account invoice for the customer, this will give me the required result but is a lenghty way for a repeatedly used process.

Example here: A main company is purchasing store shelfs in bulk for new to be opened stores over Europe. If a new store is setup and opened, using parts of the shelfs, the local country company is invoiced for the used shelfs that are part of the bulk. It is not an option to setup a fixed asset for every shelf itself.

Am I right that fixed assets is not the area where we have the most experienced users in our user group? [*-)]

1. Split your FA through FA Reclass. Journal

2. Sell that new one you need to…

that`s it - details in FA manual, ch.3

Thanx Modris,

this is the standard way, described on page 100, but regarding the problem it is not the
solution for their business, because it will blow up the fixed asset table: the FA that is split away will immediately be sold and therefore disposed making the FA list a bit crowded. This is the reason they don’t want to setup a fixed asset for every shelf itself.

Thanx anyway.