How to make that the Dynamics NAV client request ALWAYS the user and password with Active Directory users

Hello, I have the Dynamics NAV users integrated with our Active Directory so Dynamics Nav client start automatically when the user start the application, because Dynamics Na read the user session credentials, but I would like that Dynamics NAV client ALWAYS request the user/password …or password for to login.

Is it possible to configure it for to ask always the password? , even when the user credentials of the session were the same?.

Thanks a lot

You can use the database login instead of the windows login to always request user name and password.

This is a quite easy task when using the C/Side database and a not so easy task when running on SQL server.

See the w1w1ism.pdf and w1w1isql.pdf located in the DOC folder of your NAV installation CD

Hello.

Yes, I know it !, but I want to use active directory credentials, it is so I write this post.

I need to FORCE that Dynamics Nav request the user/password …

thanks

Sorry, but this is not possible.

You can either use the Active Directory integrated logins - therefore Navision is not asking for credentials

Or you use the database logins where Navision asks for credentials - but is not AD integrated.

When you need to FORCE the user to present their credentials, you will have to utilize the database logins.

Can I ask why you want a user to enter their password again since they are logged in to windows and already authenticated?

I suggest to create a second authentication in Nav. On open of Company open a window and ask the users to enter a second password. The password doesn’t need to be the same. You can store it in a new table or in User Setup. You could through some automation do the authentication again if you like with AD.

I am going to explain why I need to do it …It is very easy …

Our users … open the sessions … and them go away … we have configurated the screensaver (by active directory politics) to start in 5 minutes after no activity in the system … but … what happen if somebody in four minutes open Microsoft Dynamics NAV???, that can access all the contability in the enterprise … and I cant not create another user/password because they dont want to have two users with two password…

The solution … (one) … force Microsoft Dynamics NAV to request always the password.

Does it possible?

Thanks

Hello Thomas, I am going to explain you why I need to do it …It is very easy …

I know that I can use the database login instead of the windows login … but users dont wont to have to password, because we force all users to change
their password each month

Our users … open the sessions … and them go away …
we have configurated the screensaver (by active directory politics) to start in 5 minutes after no activity in the system … but … what happen if somebody in four minutes open Microsoft Dynamics NAV???, that can access all the contability in the enterprise … and I cant not create another user/password because they dont want to have two users with two password…

The solution … (one) … force Microsoft Dynamics NAV to request always the password.

Does it possible?, I need to increase the security

Thanks

There is no easier solution that good training of the users and move the responsibility for that on them (with some consequences when they break the rule…). You cannot solve that, because what if the user is in front the PC but only not using it? Do you want to lock the client too?

Train the users to use Win+L keystroke when they are leaving the computer, it is much faster, cheaper and more effective than trying to think out another way…

You do not only have a problem when the screen is unlocked and the user runs away where no Navision is running.

Your bigger problem will be when the user runs away and NAV is still open. There it would not even help that NAV is asking for a passwword on starting.

The best solution for your problem would be a quite expensive one:

Equip all your computers with Smart Card readers and implement a certificate server in your network. Distribute smart cards to your users which store a personal certificate to identify the user. The user can/needs to remove the smart card when leaving the desk which will immediately lock the screen and only open again when the user presents his smart card again. You could force your users to remove the smart cards when leaving the desk by putting a chain to the smart card and tie it on your users [;)]

Thanks, I didn’t know this shortcut! That’s really helpful.

I my company we simply have the policy that if anyone leaves their desk without locking their pc, then anyone in the department is allowed to go to their desk and write an email to the other employes saying “I’m giving cakes (or icecream in the summer) at 2pm at my desk”. That have really helped getting them to remember to lock their screen.

In our company it’s not only our Navision system that is a big problem if the screen is not locked. But sometimes there are very confidential mails in their mailbox or for that matter presentations or excel documents, that potential will costs millions if it comes in the wrong hands.

So I agree that the best way is training (and then maybe the trick regarding cakes or icecream).

THIS was the best…[Y]