How to justify in Navision

Hey everyone, You all know the justify function in Word where you can extend a text to occupy an entire line in the document. Now question is how to do you that in Navision? I thought of writting a routine that will insert spaces between words in the text to get it to the required length … No problem there But that still will not help because characters in most fonts do not have the same length in pixels so, when applied to several lines of text, you will get the same length in number of characters but the actual length in pixels will be different and therefore the lines will still look ugly (unalligned). So if anyone has a better idea … Thanks, Cristi Nicola P.S. And do not ask me why I do not use word for all this 'cause I do not remember but it has been decided some time ago in the project and to get to the bottom of that would take even longer

Good luck with this incredible task … Just 2 spontaneous ideas: (1) How about having each of the concerned lines of the report divided into two slightly overlapping (!) text boxes, the left one aligned left, the right one aligned right and filled with first and second half of the line? So you move the remains of the ugly gap in the middle … (2) Classify all (!) letters of the printer font used for its specific lenghth (‘i’, ‘l’ = 1; …; ‘w’,‘m’ = 5) to get a more precise length of the line. Probably you’ll have to bring several ideas together: calculate the optimum length (based on letter width) and fill the lines with spaces, use devided textboxes. So, if you get paid for this work let us know your end-up solution! Tom Edited by - thoesel on 2002 Aug 07 18:18:46

Navision is not a good tool for such layout tasks. Your job will be much easier and the result much more general purpose if you interface with a polished, off-the-shelf formatting tool such as Word or Crystal Reports or JetReport. You can have all the benefits of Navision PLUS the benefits of the formatting software package. (IMHO) Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

I once saw got small code piece that could do this. Actually I think I downloaded it from this website!! Check when I get it back up and running.

When I see a question like this, I cannot help thinking what a Microsoft Partner would say, if I asked a similar question of them, for example “How can I make Access do Word Processing” :wink:

Actually it’s a shame that you can’t just use a standard RTF Control directly within Attain. I’ve heard that this is one of the features you find in Axapta (where you can use more or less all standard controls).

quote:

Originally posted by lstroem
When I see a question like this, I cannot help thinking what a Microsoft Partner would say, if I asked a similar question of them, for example “How can I make Access do Word Processing” :wink:

Do not agree, when you need to print Invoices and other documents (which is basic functionality) you expect to be able to have decent designs.