How to install NAV/BC with a demo database?

Hi Experts,

I used to work on Navision 4.0, 5.0 and 2009 two years> During this time, I have been using the classic database. I left Navsion for 5 years and now I want to go back to it. I undertand the classic version is discontinued. Now I am trying to install the RTC in a demo database so that I can start learning, but I don’t even find the installation file and how to install the RTC client in a demo database for learning. Can anyone help me on how to get the software and how to install it for learning purpose?

(Subject changed by admin, was: How to install RTC with a demo database?)

Hi Kola Boy,

Do I understand you like you want to install NAV 2009? Why?

That version is no longer supported by Microsoft, but you do find it in the Resources/Download section here on this site. But why do you want NAV 2009?

If you are looking into learning it again, then why not just go with a Business Central trail subscription? Or if you are more into the technical/development side, then you can setup a sandbox for testing on Azure. With their scripts then it doesn’t take more than a few clicks and in about 15 minutes, then your new test environment is ready for everything like to test.

Hi Erik P,

Thanks for your reply. The reason why I want to install Nav 2009 is there are some systems that still use it. However, since it is no longer supported, I will now try and install Business Central. I don’t know anything about Business Central or RTC, therefore can you point me to a source where I can get materials to learn Business Central. I don’t have access to Microsoft learning resource. I am trying to learn this on my own because I am interested in it. Can you tell me where I can get the installation software and the steps to take to install it on a laptop for learning in a demo database? Thanks.

Again let me ask: What is it that you want to learn in NAV/BC?

I want to learn programming in NAV/BC. The technical side of NAV/BC.

Ok, then I would definitely recommend you to start by installing Docker. Today NAV/BC is distributed in two ways. Either the “traditional” way, where you download a big zipped DVD file including “everything” you need to install NAV yourself. Or via Docker, where NAV is distributed as a container image, which when you run it contains a full virtual machine including Windows Server, SQL and NAV ready to run and use. As a developer/technical nerd like me this is a gift from heaven! [emoticon:c4563cd7d5574777a71c318021cbbcc8]

Then only time I really need to download the actual DVD, is if I need to install it on-premise with a customer. But typically something I would never touch myself. Today installing an on-premise NAV/BC requires more knowledge about SQL Server, IIS, certificates and network security and other non-NAV related technologies, than the NAV related. So despite I am sure I would be able to get it up and running, then I prefer to leave that to specialized consultants.

When you have Docker installed, then it only takes 2-3 minutes to get a NAV server up and running, if you already have downloaded the images needed. First time, when Docker needs to download all the different image layers (i.e. Windows, SQL, IIS an NAV) then it needs to download about 15-20 gb. But after that you only download changed images. You manage everything using Powershell, where you can use the NavContainerHelper scripts from Microsoft to make it very easy.

Today Powershell is one of the most important tools for NAV developers and technical consultants. So if you are not already familiar with Powershell, then put that on the top of your list of things to learn. You will need it again and again.Then I can recommend you to read this blog post by my fellow MVP Arend-Jan Kauffmann. http://www.kauffmann.nl/2017/12/02/running-nav-docker-containers-on-a-local-hyper-v-virtual-machine/

That’s the way I learned how to run Docker locally.

AND in case you need it, then you can download and run all supported versions of NAV via Docker. That’s from NAV 2015 and up.

I guess that there are a lot of things that he cannot do unless working at a Microsoft-partner (License Issue). The Demo-license has its limitations.

Yes, I gree with Palle.

That is for sure, without a partner license, then you are almost better off with a D365 BC trial subscription and a sandbox. That at least all allows you to develop AL extensions in the customer object range.

The license issue is the reason why want to learn with Dynamics Nav 2009 RTC. I don’t have developers license for version higher than 2009. How can i learn higher versions without a developers license? The demo license won’t help much. By the way, i have already install Docker and i guess that won’t be neccessary anymore since i don’t have a license for BC.

In the absence of license for BC, can i go ahead and install Nav 2009 whose license i have to learn developing in Dynamic Nav.?

Hi Kola_boy,

If you have a NAV 2009 Client and a developer license for that version, I don’t see any problem, but that version was a bridge between two technologies, and I remember it as a headache (for instance, when I was trying to manage files). There are a lot of things that are changed from NAV 2009 from a developer point of view.

So what will be your advice as to the best way forward, bearing in mind that i don’t have a developer license for versions higher than 2009. How can i learn the higher versions without having their developer license? The demo database does not allow you to create new objects and its use is limited to just browsing through the database? I don’t have the designer option in the RTC version and don’t know how to do the development in RTC.

The answer is simple, you don’t - without a proper developer license you won’t be able to do much. Besides from that - I makes no sense at all, just to try along. You have to work at a Microsoft Partner or start as a partner yourself - and then get a developer license (but that is going to cost you quite a lot of money).

So there is no shortcut to Dynamics NAV - you have to use proper channels, Microsoft did it this way, because there is no need to “play around” with real companies data with people that do not have enough knowledge of Posting, ERP and experience.

Sorry.

I disagree, learning to code in Dynamics NAV 2009 is pretty much a waste of time.

• The Development Environment is Visual Studio Code,
  • On BC you cannot change a single line of standard code
  • You have to learn A LOT about the new functions and all the code that has been moved.
  • New functions like OnBeforeInsert and OnAfterInsert and a zillion other things.

And finally and the most important part, you dont learn Dyn 365 BC without proper training… Training is essential!

Thanks Palle. I think i will stick to Dynamic Nav 2009 and lower for now since that is the developers license i have. If i get a job at a partner company or end user, i will take a training on the BC.

Wise choice if you ask me, if you wan’t to be more “interesting” for a partner to employ you, then you try to learn and get the a certificate for Microsoft SQL Server or learn a lot about Microsoft Power Bi (those two roles are becoming more and more necessary for Dynamics Partners to have).

Thanks Palle for these advice. I will do just that.