How to install multiple versions of RoleTailored Clients on a single machine

Is there a trick to installing multiple RTC clients on the same machine (not a server, just a local PC for testing the different versions of the Cronus Database)? I want to be able to test different versions of the RoleTailored client: NAV2009 SP1, NAV2009 R2, NAV2013 beta etc. on a the same machine, only interested in the using the RoleTailored client.

The old classic clients was simple, install NAV the supported way and then just copy the “Classic” folder from previous versions and you can still access the older versions of NAV.

How can I do this for the RoleTailored Client?

Hello,

You can easily install NAV 2013 along side of NAV 2009 as you can do a custom install now and select different Ports, and make sure it is all unique, and the Service is also a different name. The only thing that is still an issue is if you try to use the Object Designer to ‘Run’ things directly, as that will always use the default path, and that path was NOT changed per version, due to the amount of work it would then take to change up all shortcuts and so forth, but the RTC and everything will work fine, just don’t use the ‘Run’ option from Object Designer for the non default install. That is how it works as of right now. Now, to answer the other part of your question about having NAV 2009SP1 on the same machine as NAV 2009R2, that is much more difficult. You have to install one by default, which would probably be NAV 2009R2, and then you do like before which is to just copy NAV 2009SP1 to its own folder. The thing though is that you have to manually create the Service via command line because both those versions use the same name, and you must create a new unique Service. You can either use Port Sharing, which then requires you to Delete the Installed Service also, and recreate with the Port Sharing option, or you can use Unique Ports and open up on Firewall. You can use the following article to create the second service, and even to remove the first one and redo it. The same thing exists with the ‘Run’ from Object Designer here, only the one that was installed by default will work from the ‘Run’ option unless you create some PowerShell Script or code to go into the Registry and change the Default Path. Here is the article for creating Services manually, and it has other information as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301437.aspx

So the bottom line, NAV 2013 easy, just install both and use Custom and create Unique information. Having 2009SP1 and 2009R2 on the same machine, not nearly as easy. You could also create a Virtual machine to run one from if that is easier.

Nick

Both NAV2013 and NAV2009 R2 installed fine together [:)]. I didn’t use the custom install. I uninstalled NAV2009 then installed NAV2013 using the demo install option. Afterwards ran the NAV2009 R2 install and selected the demo install option again. It seemed to work without any issues.

Don’t think there would be too many functional changes in 2009SP1 so I might just leave it to 2009R2 and 2013 for now. Thanks for the tips