How to delete Financial year closed P&L G/L Entries.

Is there an easy way to delete G/L Entries of P&L Accounts which we have (FY) closed in NAV 5.0?

Why you need to delete them?

If additional postings have been done AFTER the initial run of CloseYear batchjob, you can simply run the batchjob again - it will not create duplicate entries for already closed amounts - only process the newly added transactions.

We have 8 years of data and the database size is now nearly 10GB. System is working slow, then thought of deleting old closed year data.

Sorry JV, I misunderstood your question - thought you’re asking how to delete closing entries…

10 GB in 8 yrs is almost nothing, and this is very small database for SQL server (BTW max DB size for MSSQL is now 512 PETAbytes!). There are installations out there with DB sizes of hundreds of GB and significant amount of concurrent users, all working smoothly, therefore, your DB size is apparently NOT the cause of poor Navision performance.

There are many reasons that can cause performance slowdown, not seeing your environment and setup(s) I can’t give you any concrete advice. Search the forum, there are MANY threads about this issue, but in general:

1. Hardware - improperly configured system (RAID and allocation of DB files), insufficient server power in general. Classic Client processes data on workstation, even filtering is not done on server side, instead, ALL data are fetched over network to client and processed at client side, so workstation & network HW has impact, too.

2. Poorly configured Navision itself - e.g. tons of Analysis Views being updated on posting, overkill with Dimension count first to be mentioned, but there are more places to look at…

and most important - SQL optimisation and finetuning! Read Jorg’s blog here in DUG, he gives really precious advices how to fight slow performance or even deadlocks in Navision.

At last, direct answer to your Q is - look at Administration / IT Admin / Data deletion. Posted documents can be deleted (but then you will not be able to look at old Invoices etc etc), and different Ledger Entries can be compressed by date. Again, the DB size is not your problem, so do not start with data deletion on PRODUCTION base, this process is irreversible, consider checking issues I described above.