How to assign Enterprise or Functional Licenses to users

Hello experts,

I’m actually new to AX 2012, so please allow me to ask basic questions.

I have been researching how to apply Enterprise or Functional User Licenses to each user, but I cannot find a window that allows me to assign named user licenses to each user. In User window (System Admin > Common > Users) it is possible to assign Roles (such as Sales Manager or Sales Clerk) to each user. I understand the Roles are associated with the license types, but the question rose-- how can AX 2012 recognize a license type for each user?

For example, Sales Manager Role requires Enterprise User License. Is it possible to assign Functional User License and Sales Manager Role for the user?

The TechNet seems not having an article for my question. Would anyone give me a guide?

Thank you for your help!

Individual items in application, such as menu items, have the type of required license associate with them. If you have access to code, you can look at menu items in AOT and check ViewUserLicense and MaintainUserLicense properties. User needs the CAL that covers requirements from everything what he is allowed to use. For example, if user has access to even a single item requiring Enterprise license, he needs Enterprise CAL. If you remove such item (by changing the role, for example), Functional CAL will suffice.

You might be interested in the blog post I wrote about AX2012 licensing. It’s quite old, so some things are not valid anymore, but it describes the basics and contains some useful links.

Thanks for your advise, Martin.

Actually I have read your valuable blog before I posted here! I checked license property in AOT, but there are way too many item to check for each users. So, I figured out the easier way to check how much Functional License can cover the menu item… I simply applied a license that contains only Functional (no Enterprise) permission, and logged in as a functional user to see if the desired menus are available for the user.

During the testing, I got new question… In Microsoft’s license document, users with Functional license are not allowed to access Invoice. However, in my end, the Functional user can see the Invoice menu. Is this how it’s suppored to be or some sort of error…?

Sorry, I don’t know details about individual items. What Microsoft shipped is what counts.

You will find that although you may have access to a menu item ( link in a module home page ) you may not have the necessary menus on the form that opens to perform your desired tasks.

The licensing scheme in AX 2012 is there for one purpose: to generate revenue for Microsoft. If it is an important function, it is likely Enterprise.

You’ll want to build or define custom roles that have exactly what your users need to do their jobs at the lowest total cost to your organization. This will likely mean change for what a user can do in AX 2012 versus what they were used to prior. At the end of the day, you can pay to let everyone have an enterprise seat, or you can define very specific roles and duties to perform required functions in the ERP system.

~S

This is obviously an old thread on AX 2012 licensing. But as final update, some updated information on licensing below -

Below blog entry details changes within AX 2012 licensing -
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/axsupport/archive/2011/09/01/ax-2012-licensing.aspx

Below link contains documentation on AX 2012 R3 licensing and pricing guide -
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/E/61EFD58E-A3CD-49E6-B156-0980CFF38BA5/Microsoft%20Dynamics%20AX%202012%20R3%20Licensing%20Guide%20May%202014%20Customer%20Edition.pdf