HELP!! Problems with importing product data

I have problems with importing our article database. The target field in Navision which contains the item discription (short) is only 30 characters wide. The original database field in our current ERP is 50 wide. Navision (SQL version) cuts off the last 20 characters, thus making it impossible to distict between items of the same group. I.E.: for the following product: Software / Application / Microsoft Office 2003 small Business edition 3-pack, i have these short discriptions Original Short product discription SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack OEM Dutch SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack Retail Dutch SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack OEM German SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack Retail Dutch SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack OEM French SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack Retail French And so on… In Navision this becomes SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack SW A MS Office 2003 SBE 3-pack And so on… Since this information is humanly read (reports) there is no possibility to distinct any more. I have to import 26.000 items where this problem occurs in over 22000 instances. I must keep these discriptions since they have been printed on invoices over the last couple of years. Due to the excessive reporting we have to do as a distributor, the short item discription is used at over 500 locations where it is shown or printed in Navision. Enlarging the field length thus results in having to adjust all of these forms, reports and so on. Any smart solutions for this problem??

The easiest way to go is to add a new long description field (60) and to populate the normal fields with the 1st and 2nd 30 characters. Everywhere where you want to see the new field you add it.

@Marq That doesn’t solve the fact that all the reports on which this field is printed have to be altered. The sheer number of these make it a hell of a job. (I’m no pro with navision so altering this takes me a while, multiplied by 500 that means ages…) Alex.

Yes, this is true, but realy. It is the easiest way to go.

You can also search on this topic, here or on www.mibuso.com

Did that already… Alex.

quote:

Due to the excessive reporting we have to do as a distributor, the short item discription is used at over 500 locations where it is shown or printed in Navision. Enlarging the field length thus results in having to adjust all of these forms, reports and so on.
Originally posted by Alexwollenberg - 2005 Nov 18 : 15:22:34

Not really so. Controls on forms and reports may be over- or undersized in respect to the actual lenght of the field in the SourceExpression. So you might have to enlarge a control in order to show the whole content of the field under it or have a lot of blank space showed/printed because the field content doesn’t fill the control. What I’m trying to say is that you may or may not choose to increase the original field lenght, but if you do it you may discover that most of the reports don’t need any change. What you must worry about are all the tables where the item description is spread, like Sales Line, Purchase Line, Item Ledger Entry, Sales Invoice Lines… That is the real headache when you try to change a standard field size. Anna

Or: use the “Description 2” field for the overflow.