Help needed with Citrix and Navision.

I’m not a Navision guy so help really needed. Problem I’ve got is Navision runs as a Published Application on a Citrix Metaframe 1.8 Server Farm ( load balanced ). The Citrix Servers are experiencing CPU bottlenecks which slows Navision down. ( 2x Compaq ML370 Dual PIII 1ghz 1gb Ram Win2k Cit MF 1.8 for 2k ). What happens is finsql.exe takes up 50% processor for 1 user then another comes along and their finsql.exe takes 40-50% and the remaining finsql fight over the remaining processor.( server now running at 100% ) which results in all other users then having to wait for these 2 users to finish whatever they are doing before they can work. There’s no pattern to it ie, it happens when they print or post in certain areas and the users who are ‘locked’ out can last from a couple of seconds to several minutes. The Servers arn’t overloaded with users 25 per server. ( we were recommended 25 per cpu ) Navision client is "Version GB 2.60.D ( GB.2.60.E ). I’m the support guy who looks after the Network - the company who installed Navsion say it’s the TS’s but I’m not convinced. If this was an NT4 install I would setup the ‘badapp’ settings in the registry but as it’s win2k these don’t apply. Any help or guidance to where I can get help would be appreciated as the customer is getting more and more frustrated with this solution. Thanks.

What happens if you connect to the Navision with simultaneous clients not running Citrix. Do you also have performance problems in this scenario? There are and have been minor glitches regarding Navision and Citrix, but i believe that the problems you are experiencing aren’t general ones.

Thanks for the reply - Clients local to the Server use Navision on the workstation not through Citrix and have no problems at all. It’s only the Citrix users who have problems with speed ( cpu bottleneck on TS ). All the clients are win2k workstation using latest citrix PN ( 6.30 ). I’ve put a packet sniffer on the network at remote sites and it’s not a bandwidth issue line util only ever 30-40% but what I did observe is when TS at 100% all Citrix Published App sessions stackup like traffic jam waiting for response. Is there any documents anywhere on best practice for installing Navision on Citrix?? What would cause finsql.exe to hog processor ?

Well, it is a bit strange. A problem exist with Attin which may apply to your version as well. It sounds something like this: “Users are experiencing a problem whereby if a user leaves their workstation with the cursor resting on a button (e.g. Field Filter) and displaying the “Tool Tip”, that user consumes 100% of the CPU utilisation, thereby affecting the response to all other users.” This error should be corrected in Attain 3.6. I have no idea if this problem applies with you or if your problem is of an intirely different nature. Perhaps your users could disable the toolbox menu for a while to see if it makes af difference.

We had a similar problem after converting our servers from NT to W2K. We’re running Navision 2.01B and Metaframe XP; only the client runs on Citrix, the Navision app runs on a domain controller. But hopefully what helped us will help you. In our case 1 user was taking up 95-99% CPU on Citrix for serveral minutes at a time. On the Citrix server I changed the Application Response setting in Control Panel\System\Advanced\Performance Options to “Optimize Performance for Background Services”. The results were dramatic. Not only was each user only taking less than 20% CPU, the duration of each timeslice decreased from several minutes to several seconds. Hope this helps.

I’ve got the same problem here, 2 cpu’s and sometimes users complain about navision speed ( nav. client 2.60E citrix ) , I tried the badap registry setting but didn’t work. I checked the users that were taking 100% cpu ( so 50% of all the cpu power ) and found out that the users weren’t even there, thay had a coffe brake or something, So perhaps that the “tool tip” thing may work, but ( because I don’t know anything about Navision) how do I disable the tooltips? Can I do a registry change so that the next ICA session won’t b displaying the tips? OR do I have to tell the users how to do this every time they log on to the ICA session. By the way, how can you upgrade if you don’t use the original program but navision partner changed many things so your company can work with it? I you are only able to upgrade if you use the standard program, or if your company has a lot of money, or am I wrong?

It looks like Tooltips might be the problem. Have been monitoring the Servers more closely and a user will be hogging the CPU even though the users session is idle. This can last anything upto 20 minutes in some cases. I’m waiting for feedback from the customer as they’ve not disabled tooltips accross the site yet. I’ll post here if this does / doesn’t solve this as the processer hogging only happens when the session is idle.