File attachment

Hi,

Is it possible to attached file on Items like for example picture or other documents related?

Thanks

Yes, you can attach the item picture (should be in .BMP format).

Item Card>> Item (First Bottom button) >> Picture (Anothe form will open)

On this form on bottom >>Picture>> Import >>browse the picture file.

Hi

Thanks! I found it. How about documents? Is it possible to attached documents? for example Contracts?

Yes

If you are working >=Nav 5.0 , there is feature called Record Links.

u can attach the documents Like word, excel, Pdf…to Purchase order , sales order , vendor card,customer card.

Hi Reema!

Thanks! Here’s some notes on how to setup links :slight_smile:

You can search help menu → Record Links!

Linking Documents, Folders, or Web Sites to Records in Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Some cards, for example customer and vendor cards, include a Home Page field where you can enter a URL. You can also add URLs to the Shortcuts menu. However, sometimes you may want to link a piece of information to a specific record in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

You can make links to:

• documents

• folders

• Web sites

• other records in Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Example 1

When you receive printed invoices from vendors, you can scan them and store them as .pdf files on a SharePoint site. Then you can make a link from a purchase invoice in Microsoft Dynamics NAV to the corresponding invoice on SharePoint.

Example 2

You can make a link from an item card to the corresponding page in your vendor’s online catalog.

To Link to a Document, Folder, or Web Site Outside of Microsoft Dynamics NAV:

1. Open the record that you want to attach the link to. If you want to attach the link to a specific line, for example a sales or purchase line in a journal or document, then place the cursor on the line.

2. Click Edit, Links… The Links window opens.

3. In the URL field, enter an address for the file, folder, or Web site (for example, C:\My Documents\invoice1.doc, or \publicshare\myfiles, or www.microsoft.com)

4. Fill in the Description field with information about the link.

5. When you enter data in the URL field, the program enters the current system date and time in the Created field, and it enters your user ID in the User ID field.

To Link to Another Record in Microsoft Dynamics NAV:

1. Open the record that you want the link to open. Click Edit, Copy Link.

2. Open the record that you want to attach the link to. If you want to attach the link to a specific line, for example a sales or purchase line in a journal or document, then place the cursor on the line.

3. Click Edit, Links…The Links window opens.

4. Place the cursor in the URL field, and then click Edit, Paste.

5. Fill in the Description field with information about the link.

6. When you enter data in the URL field, the program enters the current system date and time in the Created field, and it enters your user ID in the User ID field.

To View a Link:

1. Open the record that has a link you want to open attached to it. If the link is attached to a specific line, select the relevant line.

2. Click Edit, Links…

3. In the Links window, select the line with the link you want to open and then click Open. The appropriate program, for example Word or Internet Explorer, opens and displays the link target.

Note

If the link opens a window in Microsoft Dynamics NAV, you will need to close the Links window to see it.

To Delete a Link from a Record:

1. Open the record that the link you want to delete is attached to. If the link is attached to a specific line, then select the relevant line.

2. Click Edit, Links…

3. In the Links window, select the line with the link you want to delete and then press the Delete key.

4. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Note to System Administrators

If a user deletes a single record (for example, a sales order line, a sales order, or a customer card), then all the links attached to the record will be deleted. However, if you delete records using a batch job (for example, the Delete Invoiced Sales Orders batch job), then the links will still be stored in the Record Link table. To delete them from the database, run the Delete Orphaned Record Links codeunit.

Thanks Reema!

I found it at help menu and search for record links!

Hi
I have attached lots of Scanned Documents while posting. Now when I am trying to see those attachments, none of the posted Invoices contain the link attached previously. How do I see those attachments.
Does any Body knows in which table are these links saved.

Mahesh Dahal

BrainWorks

Data is stored in table 2000000068- Record Link.

When you have attached document where are those document stored ?

Is it on local machine or it is stored on server ?

If you deleted those file after linking then it will not open.

Files are actually not stored by NAV. NAV only stores the link to the file that is already stored right there where you let the URL refer to.

My Question is that only Luc

I asked him that when you attached document where the document stored on machine and not in Nav as Nav is storing only link.

Is there any way to Open the Link Form by clicking button in Navision. I meant through button push action chould we open the Link Form.

Do you want to open a standard link form or document ???

Yes Standard Link form, i know how to open Document. Actually i don’t want to Customize any new form using Record Link table, tatz y i am asking whether any posibilites to Open Standard Link from from any button action.

Mike S.

I don’t think so because it is system form.