Error message about Host/Services not responding

I’m getting an error message about Host/Services not responding. I’m installing this in a test environment 1st (Desktop XP Pro Svc Pack 2). Something on installing Navision 4.00 is not working. I stripped everything off from the last file except Local AND FINSERVER (Host file). I made sure the Services is using FINSERVER 3001/tcp. Both lines were moved to the top of others. I made sure there was a CR at the end. DOS PING works with COMPUTER NAME, FINSERVER, TCP/IP address. Went into Navision Database → Open, typed in servername = FINSERVER (NO LUCK). I tried servername = TCP/IP (NO LUCK). Remember this is on the same machine! By the way, I tried a remote system and it still pings good but still no connection either. I disabled the firewall Microsoft has, I’m using MCAFEE (No firewall) just spam blocker and Antivirus latest version. By the way, I installed 3.70a and 3.60 in the past and had not problem, yes, I made sure I removed any traces on that machine, including registery). Thanks. G.

Did your Navision database service start on FINSERVER?

Services do start / Stop / Start. I’m able to to a batch dos file with SERVER … UNINSTALLASSERVICE and recreate another batch dos file to SERVER… INSTALLASSERVICE. The services will get removed and created again with small cache settings etc. They do run. I did not have this experience in 7 years of Navision. Once again, this happend with 2 different machines. I even used a database with Navision 4.00 latest fixes upto patch 6. Any other idea? I could try a Windows 2000 Server but the client is getting a Server 2003. I’m trying to avoid problems at the client site. I expect issues when a company (MS) revamps the coding. Thanks. G.

Perhaps its just the new net type. By default the server uses a new net type called tcps (which is SSPI running over sockets) and the client also uses this net type for connecting to a server. If you change one of them via command line for example you must ensure also to change the other so both client and server are using both. Have you checked that?

Sorry its abit late, but I just had the same issue, and it was Windows Firewall causing the problem. Whereas 3.70 poped up a message askign for access, 4.00 didn’t.