Editting Chart of accounts

Can we change the account number, once given and entries been posted, so that it could be put under another heading?

I’m not sure that I understand exactly what are you trying to do?

You can never change a posted entry in NAV (or for that matter any other legal ERP system). You have the either create a credit memo (for an invoice) or in another way roll it back and repost it.

But what you can do is to rename a G/L account and by renaming it NAV will also change the number anywhere in the system where it has been used since it was created and thus protecting the integrity of the postings.

PS: You should never rename whilst you have other users online.

Yes - but it can take a significant time, if there are many postings to that account, as Navision will update all the entries, where this account was used (not only GL entries, Posting groups and other places will also be updated accordingly).

In CoA, change the Acc No, system will ask for confirmation first. Do it in off-peak time, as during the update the system may become less responsive to other users.

updated: Oops - Erik managed first while I was slowly typing… I understood the purpose is to change the accno in such a way it “moves” to another group of accounts…

See, i have an account 120001 and it comes under term loan. i also have entries in that account. Now i want to change that account to another head. so that means i need to change the account number as well to 130005. Isit possible to change. And if i change will i have all the entries also with it?

Ruth,

By renaming a g/l account it will be possible to move it from one section in your chart of accounts to another section and thus getting a new header.

But Why is this allowed? Shouldn’t there be a very strong reason for microsoft to allow this feature?

Why not? Most companies will, although at infrequent intervals, need to reorganize their Chart of Accounts slightly. NAV ensures, as Erik notes, that the integrity of all the transactions remain. I see that as a strong reason. And I also don’t see any problem with it?

Yes 7 years late it is still valid. as this allows you to reorganize the sb totals in your chart of accounts.