EAN128-Barcode: How to find/interpret FNC1?

Hi, we want to scan an EAN128-Barcode in an Textfield on an Form on Navision (Client 3.70). The Barcode contains Fields mit variable length (z.B. the serial number). At the end of the variable field the scanner sends an FNC1 (Ascii 29) to signal the end of the field. The textbox ignores the FNC1 and does only show the normal Contents of the Barcode. i.e. the barcode is (30)19(21)123456789012 it should read 3019 FNC1 21123456789012, but in Navison the textbox shows only 301921123456789012 The Scanner sends the FNC1 as Ascii-Code 29. we tried binary fields and blob-Fields but it seems as if navision does sweep all input to textboxes and throws out any not readable Ascii-Codes. Does anyone have the same problem or could us give an advice how to solve the problem?

Might be windows in general. Have you been able to scan and get the control character to appear in some other application like Word? It’s been a while, but I faced this before and had no luck with Windows. I ended up solving my problem another way. I wish I could help but my problem did not involve the storage of the scanned data, only the verification that the control character was present in the barcode. We purchased an industry standard “barcode verifier” from a hardware dealer. Good Luck.

Useally you can set up the scanner via barcode sheets, as to how the output - including codepage etc. A Barcode reader, is not anything but a keyboard.

quote:

Originally posted by speetz
Might be windows in general. Have you been able to scan and get the control character to appear in some other application like Word?

I always use notepad for these kinds of issues. When you do 3 of 9 barcodes, Word, Excell some times see test wrapped in * as ‘Uhh [^]- i need to put this in bold’

Problem is solved, thanks for the help. The scanner could be programmed to send a readeble Character i.e. # instead of the FNC1. The string is scanned and where an # is found it will be taken as an FNC1 if the next two characters are numeric too.

Just a small caution in case you have not noticed it already. EAN AIs (Application Indicators) can be 2 or 3 characters, so you will need to check the following 3 characters for numeric and match against a valid EAN AI if you want a general parsing routine. Your example only uses 2 character AIs.

ean128 barcode component