E-Commerce Solution using MS Dynamics Navision

We are planning to launch an e-commerce solution for a manufacturing company. We have microsoft dynamics Navision ERP software. We are buying a configurator for filtering/configuring customized products. Also we are buying a storefront/shopping cart which is already integrated with the configurator. The Storefront we are planning to buy uses C#.NET and we are planning the launch a .NET e-commerce. Finally the ecommerce slution includes ERP(Navision) → Product Configuartor → Storefront/Shopping Cart → Website. We will start with customizing storefront. However I have no clue where to start.

What does the website consist of? Does it just mean adding pages to the shopping cart software or customizing its existing pages? If not, how do we go about intergating a website with Shopping Cart/Storefront?

How does hosting for such an e-commerce solution work? Do we need to find a host who supports the shopping cart/storefront software we are buying or do we just need a hosting service that can launch our website?

What about the database of the shopping cart/storefront? Does the hosting server need a maintain a separate database or just the website can be interfaced to shopping cart/storefront to access the database on our company location?

Does the shopping cart and navision database needs to be separate or can we integrate everything together? The storefront/shopping cart we are buying, also uses SQL Server.

Any help/advice/links is greatly appreciated.

Which version of NAV are you using

Right now we have NAV 5.0, we have not yet imlemented it so we will upgrade to NAV 2009 before implementation.

Hi, we build our own shopping cart: www.bbayt.com. We are not ready to launch it commercially and also not sure we will. But I think I can answer most of your questions. Our webshop is of soccer shoes: www.bzoox.com . Please do not create test orders on our website. You can look around, no problem with that. It is a full ASP.NET shop integrated in opensource www.dotnetnuke.com. In the past we build a website for tennisplanet.com for Attain 3.11 and it covers 10 European countries.

I would first look how to integrate and map the data between the webshop and your ERP. It that does not fit, you will never get proper data from and to your ERP.

I do not fully understand this question. But the webshop is on a different server (hosted) for reasons of security. We have a dedicated VPS for our Dynamics AX and a VPS for the webserver. You can also look for a shared environment. But if your applications are critical than you can best control the environment yourself to avoid downtimes.

The Microsoft licensing model does not allow you to use the same database server. For reasons of security you also don’t want that. We have a web edition 2008 and a Express database running on the webserver. Express database can also be a web version database, but we actually did not require that.

Talk to the vendor. They can tell you better how the data is mapped.

J.

Hi Rohit,

You can consider our 24SevenCart for this purpose. At present, we offer it with web integrators for RMS and POS09 and if needed, we can customize it to work seamless with NAV.

Regards,

Shomik

Since there are many Ecommerce Solutions out there, making the right choice can often be a big problem. At the same time, if you go wrong with a solution, then you might not actually get what you want, or you might end up overspending on setting up the system, which might offset your profits a bit. Hence, you need to take time out and select the right Ecommerce Solution for your business. I have used Pay Vision and I am so happy with their services. Check out their website http://www.payvision.com/E-Commerce.htm

hi there pal, try looking at this site: http://www.shoppingcartelite.com, hope that helps…

Hey Rohit,

Our solution Nav-to-Net is a completely integrated solution exclusively for Dynamics NAV. It comes with a .NET based website that is very easy to change look & feel and shopping cart module in-built. Can be integrated with any data driven configurator of your preference. Moreover, you can choose to either host the website outside of your premises or in-house. Check out www.dvp.net . Hope that helps.