Description of tables Axapta 3.0

Hello, We are in the process of implementing Axapta at our company. I am trying to figure out what kind of development-tools where going to use. The salespersonal say we will need MorphX and probably we will, BUT I have a few questions that is not answered: - If I want to develop directly (fx using SQL-questions in an ASP/HTML-environement) where can I find the declaration of the tables? Somebody who know where I can find it? Regards Kenneth/Sweden

Hi Ken, You can not go directly against the database. You need to use the Business Connector ( Axapta COM Connector). Try to find some info on that, it will be a good start for you.

Hi, Are you trying to implement yourself. Normally the first phase at least is implemented with the help of a solution centre/consultant. Regards, Anuj

OK. Thanks Vlad. I will check this up. But what is Business Connector? Why is it not possible to go directly against the database? Where can I find descriptions of tables?

quote:

Hi Ken, You can not go directly against the database. You need to use the Business Connector ( Axapta COM Connector). Try to find some info on that, it will be a good start for you.
Originally posted by vmichnik - 2005 Jan 27 : 13:59:22

Business Connector is set of COM Components which you can access from COM aware languages such as VB,.Net or ASP for that matter. just create object and go for it… If your goal is to just access the Axapta database tables, I would suggest that you write a program that uses SQL Provider or DSN for that matter.

It is really your own choice wheter to use COM (Business connector) or ODBC. If you use COM you can call application logic already made in Axapta. I mean call Axapta code directly, which can be useful if you want to be sure that eg. invoicing is done the same way as from within Axapta. But COM has a performance issue, since all objects etc. is “channeled” throug the Business Connector. If you are familiar with ERP systems, the economi and so on, I would use ODBC, to eliminate the performance issue. Of course this would result in way more code than when using COM, but on the other hand it leaves you free to do whatever you want. Best regards, Søren

quote:

It is really your own choice wheter to use COM (Business connector) or ODBC. If you use COM you can call application logic already made in Axapta. I mean call Axapta code directly, which can be useful if you want to be sure that eg. invoicing is done the same way as from within Axapta. But COM has a performance issue, since all objects etc. is “channeled” throug the Business Connector. If you are familiar with ERP systems, the economi and so on, I would use ODBC, to eliminate the performance issue. Of course this would result in way more code than when using COM, but on the other hand it leaves you free to do whatever you want. Best regards, Søren
Originally posted by s.h.a - 2005 Feb 03 : 12:20:10

Thanks Soren. I will probably need to do both (ODBC and COM) , but accessing the tables directly (ODBC) is difficult if there is no descriptions of the tables. I mean of course you can find those tables and their descriptions in “Enterprice Manager” but how do I know in what situation Axapta uses the tables? A simple manual!

quote:

Originally posted by s.h.a - 2005 Feb 03 : 12:20:10

Well… basically you do not know which tables certain business logic uses without looking at the code within Axapta. Of course, after several years of programming in Axapta, you get familiar with common used tables. It would be impossible to have a complete overview and knowledge of each table. (there are about 1000-1500 tables by default). And as you say… getting a list of the tables doesn’t really help much, if you don’t know when you are supposed to use them. Perhaps if you explain what you have to do, I can provide some information about the tables you should concentrate on ?

Hi Kenneth, AFAIK there is no documentation / manual available that would tell you in what situation Axapta uses the tables, classes etc. As Soren has rightly mentioned one would typically gain this knowledge as one goes along. The way to proceed ahead might be if you can let us know your requirement, then we can suggest appropriate solution. Please be aware that there are so many ready made solutions available as well. Regards, Harish Mohanbabu

OK. The hard way is the answear I suppose. I must say I find this a bit strange. This is not the case in many other ERP-systems. They are very well documented. In my eyes Axapta is NOT a very well documented business system. Is this strategic from Microsofts point of view? I don’t think so. I think it is pure disorganisation.

quote:

Well… basically you do not know which tables certain business logic uses without looking at the code within Axapta. Of course, after several years of programming in Axapta, you get familiar with common used tables. It would be impossible to have a complete overview and knowledge of each table. (there are about 1000-1500 tables by default). And as you say… getting a list of the tables doesn’t really help much, if you don’t know when you are supposed to use them. Perhaps if you explain what you have to do, I can provide some information about the tables you should concentrate on ?
Originally posted by s.h.a - 2005 Feb 07 : 11:50:46

Hi Kenneth, Please note that the next version of Axapta (ver 4.0) would be released with ample documentation on existing System, Application classes and tables. In addition to this, all new classes, tables etc that would be introduced in ver 4.0 would be documented as well. Apparently Microsoft has taken documentation as a top priority. The reason for the current state of affairs could be that Navision (company from whom MS bought Axapta) had different priorities. Regards, Harish Mohanbabu

Thanks for the information Harish. I will do it the hard way from the beginning and hopefully get a little help from those papers in the future. Well, you are probably right about those danish people [;)] and the origninal system Damgard.

quote:

Hi Kenneth, Please note that the next version of Axapta (ver 4.0) would be released with ample documentation on existing System, Application classes and tables. In addition to this, all new classes, tables etc that would be introduced in ver 4.0 would be documented as well. Apparently Microsoft has taken documentation as a top priority. The reason for the current state of affairs could be that Navision (company from whom MS bought Axapta) had different priorities. Regards, Harish Mohanbabu
Originally posted by Harish - 2005 Feb 08 : 14:30:41