date compression

Hello there, i have got a database Financials 2.60 here, it contains data < 2 GB so a second db-file isn´t necessary. Unfortunately the compression of the item ledger entries ( standard, not modified ) takes up to 12 hours for a period. Any ideas, how to explain this bad performance ( yes, hardware ist fast enough )? By the way, what are your experiences with date compression (duration,volume of data)? Best regards Tobias Weber

Some significant factors affecting date compression speed: 1) Most important - the amount of “empty” database space allocated. If it is not much (<15%), date compression will take forever. Unfortunately the 15% threshold is not a magic number, I have had situations where doing a large compression required more than 40% empty space to run at reasonable speed. Therefore, if you are space limited, you may want to compress only small segments at a time. 2) The number of parameters chosen on which to break up the compressions - the more, the slower. 3) The speed of the compression run is strongly affected by the number of compressed records which are written out and the ratio of compressed records to summary records. If you happen to chose criteria which summarizes, on the average, only two or three detail records to one summary record (rather than 50 or 100 to one), that will run very slowly. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

You might also review the keys that Navision is using by default. I found that the Standard Navision Key for the Job Ledger compression was terrible. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

Thanks a lot for your help, with your suggestions i was able to reduce the compression time about more than 40 %. I gave more space to the database and left a few parameters empty. Tobias Weber

Hi Tobias, I can probably get you about 10% more database space without compressing any further. Click File, Database, Information. Click Tables, then select all tables. Click the Optimize button. This process not only speeds up the database, it also reclaims wasted database space. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

quote:

Originally posted by debugger73: i have got a database …it contains data < 2 GB so a second db-file isn´t necessary. …( yes, hardware ist fast enough )?

Wrong. Multiple disks, has nothing to do with space, it is all about performance. Try adding more disks to get better performance. 4 RAID 1 sets (8 drives) with 500Mb on each will substantially increase the system performance. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@comcast.net___________