data model navision

I got a question. At the moment we have limited insight in the data adminstration of navision. We’re looking for an ERD or anything with which we can get an idea of how the data is structured (not for the entire database at once but for the different parts of it). Does anyone know where you can get something like this. I’m happy with any information that gives us an idea of the structure. Thanks!

I don’t think there is one, the tables don’t relate, information just ‘flows’ (no DFD’s either). Yonis

quote:

I don’t think there is one, the tables don’t relate, information just ‘flows’ (no DFD’s either).

Huh? - no tablerelations? Anyway, the Developers Toolkit will do the job.

Actually the tables are related. You can set a table relation on each field to relate to anoter (or the same) table. You can relate only to fileds in Primary Key. You can set conditions when relation is valid and have different relations to different tables on the same field using exclusive conditions. You can even set filters, so you can make only a subset of values in related table that are valid. Relations don’t work in every “direction”. When entering/modifying field, the relation is checked (if value exists). When deleting record in related table you are not warned if fields relate to this record. When modifying (or better said renaming) a related record all fields that relate to this record are modified to… Lookup Functionality (selection of possible values from a list form)is based on Table Relations. Table Relation can be made “soft” - it means you can select possible values, but you are not prevented form entering one that is not on the list, etc. BTW, this still doesn’t make ERD…

Well, actually it was my feeble attempt at sarcasm, but thanks for the lecture [;)] Developer’s Toolkit can’t generate ERDs in the strictest sense, but you can derive all the info needed and even make quite nice graphical representations showing the relations between objects (Tree View or Object Diagrams), which is what TheDudeAbides asked for. BTW this question has been raised many times in the past - Pls. use the forums search functionality for further information. This thread might be of particular interest: http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2922

quote:

When modifying (or better said renaming) a related record all fields that relate to this record are modified to…

This only holds true if the property ValidateTableRelation of said fields are set.

Steffen, I was reading to quickly to have read between the lines…

There’s a report called Data Dictionary - you’re supposed to be able to export the tables that you are interested in (as .txt) and then run the report to see how they link. My license doesn’t allow me to do the .txt export, but your’s might.

This report is not in standard version. It is probably made by your NSC ? Can we still get it ?

Hi, I managed to create E/R model for Microsoft Navision [:)] Go to http://www.NaviTools.com I hope you find it useful.

Hi (Borut) ! The ER diagrams apper to look quite cool…