D365 BC - tenant media, why are there so many records?

Our BC has 1,000,000+ tenant media records, which account for more than 20G. The problem is that we are not knowlingly putting anything in there. BC is adding records are being added in there all day and at all times. Has anyone else experienced issues with BC creating so many records there?? Maybe job queue is doing something in there??

The Tenant Media table in Business Central is used to store various types of media files associated with records in the system, such as pictures or documents. It is possible that records are being created in this table by various processes in BC, such as users uploading files or BC generating temporary files during various operations.

One potential cause of large numbers of records being created in the Tenant Media table is the Job Queue feature in Business Central. If jobs are being run that involve the creation or manipulation of media files, this could result in a large number of records being created.

To investigate the issue further, you could try running a query on the Tenant Media table to identify which records are being created and when they were created. This could help you to identify any patterns or potential causes of the issue.

Additionally, you may want to consider implementing some sort of retention policy for the Tenant Media table, such as regularly purging old or unused records. This can help to keep the size of the table under control and prevent it from consuming excessive disk space. However, be sure to carefully consider any potential impact on your business processes before implementing such a policy.

In the list of about 1,000,000 records, there are some excel and pdf files, jpg and normal types that are readable, but most of the images seem to be empty or seemingly not readable - “png”

I do have job queue creating xlsx files and sending, but these tenant media records are not those files. I am not knowingly modifying media files.

What is this table holding?

I have a new page going into PROD shortly to try to analyze further…

HI Eric,

Just noticed this and wanted to advise of somethign we found out this week. We’ve had same issue for many month and then found out out ‘Email Outbox’ and ‘Sent Mail’ is using this table to keep attachments.
We deleted out old sent mail/email outbox and have recovered over 30GB of space. Hope this is of help. You can set up Retention policy for both of these tables

It ended up being the same thing for my client. 70,000 sent emails, with an average of about 400-500KB.

Is there a way to auto manage these sent emails? --either tell BC to not save the sent emails or in data administration, purge in mass? it seems we can only delete the sent emails, by having the users do it on their login, for their userids/emails

I couldn’t find anything to turn off save. I’m not sure if this is standard or our partner edited system. Link below looking at setting up new tables for Retention Policies