Customer Part Number on Sales Orders

When we create a sales order, we need to be able to create it using the item numbers that our customer is ordering. Right now, AX 2009 only shows our internal item numbers on a sales order in the Item Number field. Is there a way of entering our customers part number and having AX convert it to an internal item number? Is there any way, in AX, to take a customer part number and do a lookup to find our internal part number?

Thanks in advance, Jerry

You can use External Item Description Features available in Account Receivables Set up …

Regards,

Jinesh Shah

I have entered the External Item Description for Customer on the part number but when I create a sales order it still shows the internal part number. Is there a configuration item I need to set in order for the external customer item numbers to show up?

No it does not do this, you always enter your item number, the system can display the related customer one on documentation but the logic is you enter the one you use. If you need the ability to enter the customer item number and have it return the internal one to the line this is a modification.