Creation of Pick from Warehouse shipment

Hi I am running 3.60 and the only warehouse processing I want is the “Require Pick”. I have no item tracking, reservations, bins or zones. I have the following scenario: Two sales orders, 1 x 50 due for delivery on 01/07/03, with a shipment date of 29/06/03, 1 x 75 due for delivery on 01/07/03, with a shipment date of 29/06/03 I have a purchase order with an expected receipt of 29/06/03 for 100. It is 28/06/03. I create my warehouse shipment document and it brings in the two orders. When I try to create the pick it returns “Nothing to Handle”. If I book one in, I will get a full pick creation. It seems to me it will not create a pick if I have zero inventory (I am anticipating receipt and getting the paperwork out early - its 1000’s of pages in real life), but if I book a single item in I get the picking sheets for 125. Am I missing something? [:I]

I am quite sure that this is a “feature”, but I can’t seem to lay my hands ont he 3.60 Warehouse User manual to check [:(] The work around that I am using is to release the Shipment, and use the Pick Work sheet to create my holding area for the Pick List. Unfortunately this same feature apears in 3.70. I think the intent, is that why would you create a pick list if you don’t have the inventory. I have an even more complex scenario, because I have Manufactured items mixed with resale items on the saels order, and I want one pick list for everything, including picking the components. Obviosly when you are picking the components, the finished goods (logically) are not on hand. Still I posted this on NOLUG a month ago, and got no reply, so I guess that we are the only ones with the problem. Please if you work it out let me know, I am really stuck, and I really don’t want to program.

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
I am quite sure that this is a “feature”, but I can’t seem to lay my hands on the 3.60 Warehouse User manual to check [:(] The work around that I am using is to release the Shipment, and use the Pick Work sheet to create my holding area for the Pick List. Unfortunately this same feature apears in 3.70. I think the intent, is “why would you create a pick list if you don’t have the inventory”. I have an even more complex scenario, because I have Manufactured items mixed with resale items on the sales order, and I want one pick list for everything, including picking the components. Obviously when you are picking the components, the finished goods (logically) are not on hand. Still I posted this on NOLUG a month ago, and got no reply, so I guess that we are the only ones with the problem. Please if you work it out let me know, I am really stuck, and I really don’t want to program.

Hi David The irony is that I was trying to set something very simple up whereby some control of picking is achieved but little else is concerned about - the customer is a distributor so it does not even impinge on manufacturing! I learnt how to do this on the advanced distribution training - where you miss all the intricacies of a non-scripted demo - oh for real life to be like that [:D]. Essentially we trained around expected receipt dates of the purchase order, so I thought this was possible, and it is as long as I don’t have zero inventory, which in my instance is 95% if the time [:D]. I have checked both my manuals and found no reference, hence the posting here oh well back to the drawing board.

I think it is in line with the requirements of warehouse activities which require picking be allowed only when there is no zero inventory.

Hi Kashinath If I have orders for 10,000 items and create a picking request for these based on future shipments and expected purchase order receipts I can create the picking request if I have 1 in stock, but cannot if I have zero - sounds like a fine line being walked in this instance [:D]

Hi Steven, If it is creating a Pick for entire requirement of 10,000/- though the quantity available is 1, I feel it is abnormal. However, I checked up at my end, it is creating a Pick only for the available quantity ie for 1 No(though the expected receipt date of Purchase Order falls on the day the Pick is being created), not for total requirement, ie 10,000/- Regards. Kashinath

hmmmmmmm Now very confused [:D]. I am unsure what I was doing before and to be honest I have been playing around a lot with this recently (so it is probably me who is confused). My current scenario is as follows: Three orders - to different customers, x50, x75, x30 all due for shipment on 29/06/03. I have a purchase order for 200 with an expected receipt date of 29/06/03. My warehouse location does not have Bins and Zones, and only has require pick selected. When I create the warehouse shipment by selecting Functions->User filters to get source documents it brings in the three orders. When I create the pick from the shipment if I have zero in stock I am told “Nothing to Handle” if I have one in stock I get three lines to pick - with a quantity of one in each order. This does not sound consistent but as I have no preferences/reservations I could argue the logic. My original question was “Can you create a pick when you have zero in stock based upon an expected receipt date?”. The issue is that they require the paperwork to be produced prior to the event due to the time and volume. It seems, as standard, this cannot be done.

Hi Steven, the pick creation doesn’t use the expected availability. The calculation is done by function CalcAvailableQty in Codeunit 7312.

Hi Elena Thanks for letting me know from the development side, being a mere consultant has its drawbacks [:D] I only see what they system does and not necessarily why! I was trying to get it to look at expected receipts and was wondering if I was missing a flag, but apparently not, maybe I will have to get one of our developers to modify it or perhaps use the shipment report as a picking sheet, but it just gives me all shipments, and not shipments based upon expected receipts which I really want. Why don’t we live in a perfect world again? [:D]