Copy User Personalizations

Hi I am using NAV 2017, is there any way to copy user personalization from one user to another?

Please help me.

No, I tried this and it does not work, the personalizations are encrypted and stored in user profile and its different for every user. If you had a local session of NAV then the personalization is different and if you say remotely access NAV then the personalization is different.

Ok. Thankyou. For your reply

Well if you start user one in “configuration mode” for their profile, then all the other users of the same role/profile id will get the exact same personalizations.

I didn’t know anything about this mode… it’s interesting, thanks!!!

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same issue, and found this blog post from Roberto Stefanetti :

https://community.dynamics.com/nav/b/arounddynamicsnavworld/posts/how-to-distribute-nav-views-and-user-personalizations

It can be done with a SQL Query :

INSERT into [DATABASE].[dbo].[User Metadata]
([User SID],[Page ID],[Personalization ID],[Date],[Time],[Page Metadata Delta])
SELECT  'S****',
a.[Page ID],
a.[Personalization ID],
a.[Date],
a.[Time],
a.[Page Metadata Delta]
FROM [DATABASE].[dbo].[User Metadata] a
WHERE a.[User SID] = 'S****'

[User SID] = ‘S****’ , Replace the SID with the SID of one USER.

It worked for me on NAV 2017 with no side effect so far, but in my opinion, it is never a good idea to modify data directly in the SQL database, so be careful.

Have a good day !

Just notice one important thing about Configuration mode, you cannot see that they are made when you go into User Personalization. They are “hidden” i another table.

Yes, when a user makes personalizations, it is stored in the [User Metadata] table, but when personalizations are made on a profile via the Configuration mode, then it is stored in the [Profile Metadata] table, in that way it is available for every user with the same profile.

Another thing to know about personalizations is that they can be different depending on where in the system the page is run.For example, if a user hides a column in the item list while accessing it from the sales module, that column won’t be hidden in the same list while accessing it from the purchasing module.