Clear down of G/L accounts

How do we clear down GL Accounts – i.e. match off entries to only leave the open items. This is particularly useful for accrual accounts etc? How do we then run reports that only show open items? Anybody got any ideas? Our reseller originally told us this was possible but are now back-tracking rapidly.

Hi Les You don’t Cleardown, Match or Close G/L account entries as such in Navision, if you are posting Month end Accruals, you would reverse out the accrued amount on the first day of the next period. Have a look at the documentation or ask your reseller for training on the G/L > Periodic Activities > Recurring Journals, there are several posting options, Fixed, Variable and Reversing. You can set these up to do the postings and reversing in a single batch and allocate by value or percentage to departments, you can even use variables in the Document Number to reflect the period. So if you posted accrued utility values at the end of period 2 they would be reversed out first day of period 3. When you report these accounts in the date filter just type P1…P2, P2 or …P2 this will return either the net change or balance at date including your accuals for these accounts. David [:D]

Ooops it’s late Sorry Les wrong package [:I][:I] Anyway that is how we would deal with it in Navision [:D] [8D]

Assuming you are using 2.5, then you need the ledger settlements feature under periodic in general ledger. The feature exists in other versions but the menu path is different. Pick entries from the top window and transfer them to the lower window (or use the Ctrl key and the mouse to multi select lines in the top window and transfer to the lower window) and then accept these entries as matched. You’ll eventually be left with a few entries in the top window that are not matched. Haven’t looked into the reports, but I would imagine that you can add a filter to most of the g/l reports for a matched or closed field or something similar. Hope this helps.

Thanks Adam that’s just what we wanted. Regards, Les

Any idea where to find this Recurring Journals functionality in Axapta 3.0???

quote:

Originally posted by David Cox
Hi Les You don’t Cleardown, Match or Close G/L account entries as such in Navision, if you are posting Month end Accruals, you would reverse out the accrued amount on the first day of the next period. Have a look at the documentation or ask your reseller for training on the G/L > Periodic Activities > Recurring Journals, there are several posting options, Fixed, Variable and Reversing. You can set these up to do the postings and reversing in a single batch and allocate by value or percentage to departments, you can even use variables in the Document Number to reflect the period. So if you posted accrued utility values at the end of period 2 they would be reversed out first day of period 3. When you report these accounts in the date filter just type P1…P2, P2 or …P2 this will return either the net change or balance at date including your accuals for these accounts. David [:D]

General ledger/Periodice/Recuring journals. Set them up here and then run them from General ledger/Journals/general journal using the functions/retreive journal feature. You will also note that there is a save function there as well if you prefer to do it that way around.

Adam, there is not such an option in 3.0. Under General Ledger/Periodic it does not have Recurring Journals. Since Periodic Journals is an option, I would assume that it is the same functionality. But looking at it, I do see anything related to reversal in the next period. Danny

Sorry for confusion - you’re right it is called periodic journal. Unfortunately there is no automatic ‘reversing’ capability within Axapta. The only way to do this is to set up the lines in the journal with the required frequency (ususally one month). Then retreive the journal from the standard general journal using the retrive function. Note the journal number assigned. When you’ve posted it, create a new journal and use the functions/load ledger transactions option. In the options you can define the original journal number, the number of days that should be added to the original journal, and the sign (i.e. tick if you want the debits to be credits and vise versa). This is not Axapta’s strongest feature - but it does get the job done.

N.B. Set the number sequence for the periodic journal voucher to manual and give all of the lines in any one batch the same voucher number. Then, when you retreive the journal to the general ledger, all the lines will have a new - but the same - voucher number to help keep the audit together. this is usually required if you are not using an offset account on each line.

thank you very much.[:)]