Charging Freight in Orders, Invoices, Shipping etc

How do most people handle their freight charges? The only place I find for a freight charge is Order Shipping but when I put a $$ amount in that field is doesn’t stay - it always resets itself back to zero. Help!!

Hi, we add an item line to the order (different items for different types of freight charges), but I’ve also seen this handled with G/L Accounts directly. regards Daniel

Not forgetting item charges, and I have heard resources being used.

slentz. Please be more specific. Item Charges are perfect for this, but it may depend on your specific requirement.

quote:

slentz. Please be more specific. Item Charges are perfect for this, but it may depend on your specific requirement.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Nov 29 : 21:39:42

I’m use to having a specific field that says “freight”. I was surprised to not find one really.

Hi Depending upon your background “expect” and “surprised” maybe words you use a lot if you are now new to Navision. However Navision is extremely powerful and flexible. Some may argue just having a freight field is inflexible, whereas we have already provided you with 4 separate options with different virtues [:D]

Where? Sales Purchase Order Invoice?

quote:

Where? Sales Purchase Order Invoice?
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Nov 30 : 23:08:23

Sales Order Entry, Sales Order Invoice, Sales Shipping.

quote:

Hi Depending upon your background “expect” and “surprised” maybe words you use a lot if you are now new to Navision. However Navision is extremely powerful and flexible. Some may argue just having a freight field is inflexible, whereas we have already provided you with 4 separate options with different virtues [:D]
Originally posted by SBWEAVER - 2005 Nov 30 : 22:54:40

I am new to Navision however, I do have 5 years experience in consulting with this type of application. What are the 4 separate options with different virtues?

Hi Whilst 5 years consulting is experience, be wary of seeing only where Navision does not have the functionality you previously had. David - I presume in the other software once the “billing” took place a separate screen came up for miscellaneous charges and freight to be added to the order, so the freight field is not in Navision, it is in the software the user has previous experience of. 1. Item Charges. The ability to assign charges of carriage not only on the order but from subsequent purchase invoices, and update the cost with this allocated charges. Probably the best designed for handling freight. Think of them as a form of landed cost. 2. Direct to GL. Simple and effective but many accountants do not like to leave sales entry clerks loose on assigning these codes. No uplift cost like the item charge. 3. Resource, create a resource and use it to issue freight charges. 4. Item, create an item and use it to issue freight charges, of course you should have stock, and do not associate a cost as this is seen in the inventory valuation. Play with all 4, see which is best for your current requirement.