Changed layout

Dear members,

As you can see then I’ve just changed the layout of DUG a little. We had been using the same basic “template” since 2006 with only minor adjustments. Now I’ve but in a new header and navigation menu as well as a new back ground color.

This is all part of some overall changes for the “DUG Group” of websites.

I would love to hear what you think about it.

Hi, Erik,

OK, it’s summer now, meadow is green, not snowy white, but where are the [W] [W] ?

And Post button is “flat” - is this intentionally? I know, where it was (& is), but got a little bit stuck to find it…

Hi Erik,

With any change I tend to work with it for a week or so before making a decision as your first reaction is normal “Change it back” or “What happened to …” [:D]

Hi Dave,

I don’t quite understand your comment. Do you like it? Or not? First impressions I know.

Hi Erik,

What I was trying to say is I’ll work with it for a week to see if I like it then. Most people react to changes in a negative fashion just because it’s different.

Ok then I understood you. But what’s your first thoughts about it? Not all users has the same patience!

Hi Erik,

First toughts are that if you are going with the green colour scheme then the blue bars/tabs probably need to change as well - but hey you’re asking someone who is colourblind anyway [:D]

… but I have to agree with Modris about the post button - not obvious to see.

Yes I see the post button is not great. A little pale to say it like that. But I’ll take a look at that.

Hi Erik, I think the new colours are OK. I don’t really mind. But I do like the changes you have made to the front page.

Hi Dave(s),

Well thank you - I keep “optimizing” the front page in close cooperation with Google Analytics. The latest I have done have been to make the Search button easier to see, also the “Sign In” and “Register” (which will be renamed to “Become a member”) has been made easier to see (on the front page for uses who are not logged in).

Next I’m planning to make a setup where all users who have below 5-10 posts will be setup with an “Guide Post UI”. Users with this setup will then be guide through the process of posting a new question, where I will try to build a kind of wizard through the posting. This should prevent some users from asking questions many other users already asked, but also to make it easier to understand what forum etc. But that’s not an easy task. But important!

And to Dave T - I now changed the colors of the Post button to make it easier to indentify. Hope it works better.

Hi Erik,

Working with this for a week or so now and I like it (now). My initial reactions were “why change” and “change it back”. I find it clean, crisp and easy on the eye.

Thank you Dave. I’m continuing doing different optimizations.

And most of all trying to get the so called bounce-rate down. The bounce-rate is the % of users who leaves the site after seeing the page they found. The goal is to make them stay a bit longer!