BRIO Business Inteligence

Hello, Have any body worked with BRIO intelligence for Business analysis and reporting. If so,how can you connect Navision Database to BRIO…??? Please do suggest. Regards, Vinod

Hi Vinod, Brio has been recently purchased by Hyperion. We had a demo of it recently, it’s a very nice product. We’re planning to purchase it too. It connects to Navision via an ODBC drive. The main idea behind it, is that you maintain a datamart outside Navision and Brio pulls out the data out of the Datamart.

Hello Vinod, I had a demo yesterday. Product looks good. Strong (imho):

• Integrates Access like query and Excel like formatting posibilities
  • Flexible variable filter settings for end users
  • Pricing. In Holland I pay € 1.300 for a developer license, with which I can start en distribute reports manually.
  • With some java scripting you can make simple multi dimensional dashboards
  • I don’t need a navision client license for each user who opens the reports (as with Jet Reports), but I can use the free(!) viewer
    Weak:- Ehhh…
    By the way, you could also define some dataports in Navision to export the most used tables, and connect to these text files, instead of directly to Navision. I’m almost certain that this would increase the performance.

Can I have the website for this BRIO solution? We have been looking an alternative solution which is cheaper as compared to JetReports and Targit etc. Thanks.

Hi Esat, As Tarek already mentioned, the product has been purchased by Hyperion: http://www.hyperion.com/news_events/brio/

hello all, Yeah,BRIO can be connected to Navision using C/ODBC for Navision. Once the connection is established,all the Navision Tables are updated on the BRIO designer,Content pane and can work on queries… Thanks, Regards, Vinod

We have successfully connected Brio (Hyperion) to Navision and have built a number of dashboards. It is a very impressive product.

quote:

Originally posted by margie
We have successfully connected Brio (Hyperion) to Navision and have built a number of dashboards. It is a very impressive product.

Hi Margie, I am currently comparing similar products: - Jet Reports - DI Diver - Orbis Taskcentre - Hyperion (Brio) Intelligence Did you also make a comparison? Perhaps evaluated one of the mentioned solutions? And could you answer me some questions: - How do you connect? directly to Navision database through ODBC? - How is performance? - Do you only use a developer license or also the server option? - How do you distribute your reports/dasboards? - How much training did you have to make these dashboards? - Could you send me some example screenshots of dasboards? I would be glad if you could answer these questions!

Jet reports is a report writer, which is very different level to Brio (a business intelligence tool). Jet reports is more for developing end-user reports whereas Brio is used more for management reporting. I don’t know anything about the other products mentioned. 1. Connection - We connect through an interim database as the Navision ODBC is slow. It also means only a subset of data is in Brio’s “Source” database, helping to simplify building queries. 2. Performance - very open question, provided your queries are well thought out and your data is aggregated well, there should be no dramas. 3. License - internally we use both. 4. Reports/dashboards - There is a dashboard file (.bqy) that sists on a server and is opened directly. Also a version is published using the Brio web deployment tools for staff to view. 5. training - Not a lot of formal training, it competent staff can pick up the basics easily. 6. Examples - you can check our website www.fenwicksoftware.com.au and look at Products - Hyperion Intelligence and Everyminute (this has some sample dashboards).

Also take a look att http://www.qliktech.com. I done a lot with it and it’s a very flexible an nice product. But it’s not a report writer. It’s an analysis tool. Comes in different configurations, from stand-alone to a web server.

Thanks Lars and Margie. Your information was very helpful!

Michiel, did you receive the information about Business Analytics? A Solution from MS that integrates with Navision, which can create reports and forms with the most beautiful presentation of data, in the office 2003 look and feel…

Hoi Peter, Our NSC (Watermark) did mention it. But I undertood Business Analytics is more expensive than Jet Reports (which they also distribute). And I’m looking for a rather inexpensive solution. But I do not have the exact figures.

Indeed Jet reports is cheaper than BI, y the way Watermark can give you an estimate of the costs of the clients, and the client server interface or the webinterface (maybe they already did). Besides that, you will need a new server for BI as it has to perform relatively heavy tasks… But the functionality as much wider than the Jet reports funct., the question is if you need the extra options…