BOM journals: item tracking on components

Is it possible to registrate serial numbers for the components in a BOM-journal in Navision 3.70. It is possible to registrate the serialnummer off the assembly, but it isn’t possible to registrate the serialnummber off the components. Posting is not possible because the serialnumber off the components is neccessary. Has someone the same problems and a solution ?

Hi Jos I have the same problem with 3.70. I’ve looked into it with my NSC and we’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just not been thought about in standard Navison. The only solution would be to do some development of the BOM Journal. I’ve decided not to as it is only a problem for a small number of items for me. Hopefully MBS will include this funtionality in a later release. Jay

quote:

we’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just not been thought about in standard Navison

They have been thinking about it ever since BOM Journals were introduced (10 years +?) just not doing it - its been on the wish list with Navision forever!

quote:

Hopefully MBS will include this funtionality in a later release.

Please see above about waiting forever!

Hi (& Hi Steven) [:D] The story I was told by MBS was that they deliberately left item tracking off BOM journals because “it undermined the need for (the) manufacturing (module)”. I have been pushing for this to decision to be reversed ever since, as using the manufacturing module for “kitting” is a complete sledgehammer to crack a nut situation. For clients who have needed to do this, we have changed their system so BOM journals work with item tracking. If you need this, I suggest that you ask your NSC to do the same. There was a big Navision EMEA chain meeting in Denmark earlier this week that my MD attended. Before going he asked everyone to let him know what we thought should be included in the next release of Navision to let MBS know. Guess what was on my list…[;)]

All the BOM journal does with respect to inventory is to create several negative adjustments and a positive adjustment. The resulting item ledger entries are tied together for costing purposes by the BOM Ledger and BOM Register. It’s pretty easy to create your own negative and positive adjustments with item tracking and then create the necessary BOM Ledger and Register entries.

hi jack,

pardon me, but i am a newbie with navision.
thus i would like to check with you:

1.“all item ledger entries tied together” - non related items are tied together, what would be the basis field/ value/ setup to tied various item together to make adjustments?

2.I am trying to figure out why would a purchaser required to read/ post bom journal instead of item ledger entry/ item journal ?