Best practices connecting D365 to SharePoint sites

Hey guys, I’m wondering what are the best practices to connect Dynamics 365 to a SharePoint site as I noticed once I get one module connected, for example sales, everything else gets connected to the same SP site like customer service, field service and so on. I thought it would be best practice to have each one of these to access their own SP site for better permission control at SP level. What do you guys think?

Hey Alexandre. I think the answer is… (it pains me to say this)… “it depends!” It depends on how your organization works and what sort of information is siloed versus shared. If you are a company, for example, who is completely transparent and wants EVERYONE to see EVERYTHING about an Account - everything should probably go into the same SP site.

But if your company wants to keep info siloed and in different spots for different employees, separate SP sites could be a good idea.

And then there’s companies in the middle! Some want Sales & Service to go in the same SP site, but perhaps the Field Service gets separated due to company/privacy policies.

I’ll be interested to see what others thing on this one! Great question :slight_smile:

I’m kind of in the same boat so to speak. My production system uses D365 server integration with SharePoint and many SharePoint developers have stated it is not really a safe system since I want my clients to be able to access their documents through permissions. I’ve been told that each account should have it’s own site or subsite but I’m not clear on how to make that happen.

I want my clients to be able to access their documents using their guest credentials but not have access to anything outside of their permitted area (site or subsite).

Can anybody chime in on this?

Are you using this to power a portal? Are clients D365 users? Also, sorry for the late reply :slight_smile: