AX client to connect to Dev, Test and Production AX 2012 Server from same user PC?

I would like to know how to set up AX 2012 clients for Development, test and production AX servers for a user from a same PC?

so that the user for e.g. can connect to test server or connect to Production Server as they need to. What is the best way to do this.

I could install the client and client configure the AOS but from what I understand, i could set up config files using a group policy or etc., which I am not very clear from the technet

You can use parameters for Ax32.exe to run a specific configuration or to use a specific file with exported configuration. The easiest way is to use shared configuration files, because then you can easily change configuration for all users in a single place.

Just create a configuration, export it to a file and create .lnk file running AX client with the configuration file as positional parameter. For example:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Client\Bin\Ax32.exe” “\AxConfigs\Dev.axc”

Just be careful that paths (including those inside .axc) are generally not the same for x86 and x64 Windows.

Thanks Martin. Appreciate it. I have one quick question. One AD user had some issue running inquiries or report, which was working fine for him. After re-installing the client, it didn’t work. she had sys admin permission. I added few more roles.

Can AX 2012 update or corrupt Active Directory user account? AX can only authenticate the AD user. When we create a user in AX, is an user profile created and stored in AOS server for that AD user? How does client authenticate the AX user?

the directory log files are stored in the AX server box.

server configuration file is stored in the AX server box

When we install a client on user PC, is the user profile created locally or at the server?

I can’t tell you anything about the particular problem. Didn’t work is by far to general.

When you create user in AX, it just creates a new record in UserInfo table (if I simplify it a bit). Authentication is handled by AD; AX only checks whether the user exists in UserInfo table (and it’s enabled etc.).

thank you and that’s my understanding. It is found that AD user account is corrupted. Could AX corrupt the AD user account is what baffles me?

No, I really don’t think so. Why do you think that the AD account is corrupted?

If you described the problem in better details, maybe somebody would be able to help you. Otherwise… it’s not likely.