AX 2009 - .Net business connector with a SQL statement with several joins

I am new to AX. I have done a few simple things using C# and the .Net business connector. Now I want to fetch some data from AX using a SQL statement with several joins. But I don’t know how to do this. ALl the examples I find only use one table. Not sure how to tell AX that I am using 5 tables. Here is what I have so far:

Axapta

ax = new Axapta();

AxaptaRecord axRecord;

string tableName = “InventTable”;

ax.Logon(

“”, “”, “”, “”);

string strSQL = @“SELECT DISTINCT ITEMNAME, PT.ATTRIBUTEDESC As PackageType, PS.ATTRIBUTEDESC As PackageSize, PD.Amount AS UnitPrice, UC.Factor AS CasesPerPallet FROM INVENTTABLE IT LEFT JOIN WFSPACKAGETYPE PT ON IT.WFSPACKAGETYPEID == PT.PACKAGETYPEID && IT.DATAAREAID == PT.DATAAREAID LEFT JOIN WFSPACKSIZE PS ON IT.WFSPACKSIZEID == PS.PACKSIZEID && IT.DATAAREAID == PS.DATAAREAID LEFT JOIN PRICEDISCTABLE PD ON IT.ITEMID == PD.ItemRelation && IT.DATAAREAID == PD.DATAAREAID LEFT JOIN UNITCONVERT UC ON IT.BOMUNITID == UC.FROMUNIT && IT.ITEMID == UC.ITEMID && IT.DATAAREAID == UC.DATAAREAID WHERE IT.DATAAREAID == '” + company + “’” + " && IT.ITEMID == ‘" + ddlItem.SelectedValue + "’" + " && PD.AccountRelation == ‘" + Convert.ToString(Session[“CustAcct”]) + "’";

DataRow drItem = dtItems.NewRow();

using (axRecord = ax.CreateAxaptaRecord(tableName))

{

axRecord.ExecuteStmt(strSQL);

DataRow drItem = dtItems.NewRow();

drItem[

“ItemName”] =

Convert.ToString(axRecord.get_Field(“ItemName”));

drItem[

“PackageSize”] =

Convert.ToString(axRecord.get_Field(“PackageSize”));

drItem[“PackageType”] = Convert.ToString(axRecord.get_Field(“PackageType”));

}

I have more fields but I simplified it. When I run this, I get an error on the ExecuteStmt. The error is:

Unable to compile

My first question is how do I specify more than one table? I specify my main table in a string variable like this:

string tableName = “InventTable”;

I then create the AX record using this line"

using (axRecord = ax.CreateAxaptaRecord(tableName))

But how do I define my other 4 tables that I am joining?

Can anyone give me an example that shows how to do this?

Thanks,

Bob

Use ax.ExecuteStmt(strSQL, axRecord1, axRecord2), for example.

But you fundamentally misunderstood what code you can use in ExecuteStmt() method, i.e. what you should have in your strSQL variable. ExecuteStmt() expects valid X++ statement, not T-SQL or anything else.

The problem is I don’t know X++. You helped me the other day with another SQL statement by telling me I needed the “&&” instead of “AND” and “==” instead of “=”. I thought I did this in my SQL statement?

Also, I’m confused about this:

ax.ExecuteStmt(strSql, axRecord1, axRecord2)

Can you provide an example or send me a link of where this is used? I can’t seem to get this to work.

Again, ExecuteStmt expects X++ code, it won’t work with SQL. It just looks similar. If you thought you can avoid learning X++ in this way, you were wrong. The best thing you can do is to write as much as possible in X++ and just call proper methods from Business Connector, but at least write the code in AX before using it in BC. Business Connector doesn’t offer anything to debug X++ code.

This is an example how to use joined tables:

Axapta ax = new Axapta();
ax.Logon(null, null, null, null);

using (AxaptaRecord users = ax.CreateAxaptaRecord("UserInfo"),
    groups = ax.CreateAxaptaRecord("UserGroupList"))
{
    ax.ExecuteStmt("select * from %1 join %2 where %1.id == %2.userId", users, groups);

while (users.Found)
    {
        Console.WriteLine("{0} ({1})", users.get_Field("id"), groups.get_Field("groupId")); 
        users.Next();
    }
}

ExecuteStmt() method is documented on MSDN - just ignore the example there, it’s wrong.

Ok, I will take your advice and build some mthods in AX using X++.

Thanks

Ok, I will take your advice and build some methods in AX using X++. Thanks