Address Header

I am having a problem that I need some help with. We have relocated our offices and I now need to change our address on our sales invoices, credit memos, purchase orders etc. I went into Object Designer hoping that I would find the answer. I think what I discovered was that Object Designer would help me if I wanted to change a form, such as moving line 3 to line 4 and visa versa…for example, move the “city” from line 3 to 4 and move the “state” from line 4 to 3. This is NOT what I want to do.

I think there is somewhere in the setups where all I would need to do is to simply change the address, which will in turn change our return address on all of our documents…purchase orders, sales invoices, sales credit memos etc.

Do you know if this is true and if so where do I go to change the address? If this is not the case what do I do? It’s only a simply change in the address line: I only need to change 1191 Benton Ave to 2288 Rolling Hills Street

Thanks for any help.

Hi

The standard approach is to take would be to reference the company information file, so have a look in Administration - Application Setup - General - Company Information.

Your address is held on the General tab and the Shipping Tab. Different documents may reference the different addresses.

Failing this you will need to look at where the address fields are getting the data.

When you create an invoice, purchase order, etc the company details are copied into the header for this document (Table Sales Header). If you make a change to the Company Setup and modify the address, this does not change the already created documents.

When you register these documents the headers are copied from the Sales Header table to the Sales Invoice Header table - again along with the copy of the address.

On the unregistered documents you can manually modify the addresses or get someone to do this in code. On the registered documents you cannot modify them - in most countries its not legal to modify an invoice once issued in any case.

If you want to modify a few hundred unregistered documents with only user access there is a fast(ish) way to do this.

You open, say, an invoice and go to the first field to modify. Press F7+Enter to filter on the current contents (which should be same in every document and contain part of the old address). Go to the last record using the toolbar button. Paste the change into this field - press page up, paste, page up, paste, page up etc until there are no more documents in your filter. Cancel the filter with ctrl-shift-f7 and go to the next field. You can modify a single field on several hundred documents in a couple of minutes this way.

Its primitive but cheap as you don’t need programmer time - you can get anyone to do this. You can even get a team of people together and get them to do different fields in parallel.

Ian

Hi Folks,

There is a faster way to do this without code - filter down as Ian says and then use Ctrl+H (Edit->Replace) and this will replace all occurrences [;)]

Ian and Dave,

I am pretty sure the original quesiton related to the moving of the actual company using NAV, NOT the customers and vendors moving. The company address is never stored in the document files, (unles this is some strange new mod I never heard about.

I think you will find that Adam is correct in what he suggests.

David, your quite right - I was thinking of the customer address and not the companies own address. A simple change in the company info card will solve te issue.

DaveT - this should prove very useful, didn’t know you could do that. And to think of the time I’ve wasted changing things for clients. Luckily only a couple of times. Thanks

Ian

Yip [:$] should have read the first post more carefully but still a lot of end users don’t know about the replace - maybe just as well [:D]

Thank you for helping out with this problem. We are using Navision 2. I cannot locate ‘Administration’ I believe we are close to a solution. I need to state the problem has nothing to do with the company card. It is the business address. When we print, for example, the invoice, the business address at the top, the header, is incorrect. We need to change the business address. Thanks.

I took this to be the address of the business “creating” the invoice, not the customer receiving the invoice. In this case “your” address details are not written to the sales header, they are referenced from teh company information file and the format address code unit (365) I believe.

If indeed you are referring to the customer address what imurphy states is correct, although you moving your business and getting a new NAV license has no affect on this!

I cannot remember the menu structure of NAV 2, but there will be a button on the left, perhaps for setup, or maybe under general ledger and setup there is a “Company Information” record, it is this form you are looking for.

We posted at the same time, hence my previous response making not as much sense after your posting. [:D]

Nope my mistake, I did not scroll to the end and missed five posts!

In version 2, the menues are very different. If I remember correctly, you go to the General Ledger Menu → Setup → Company Information.

But maybe the partner has not used this, and had either

a/ hard coded the address into the reports them selves. There are reasons why this would be done, especially if you need a very specific format that can’t be handled with using a text variable from NAV. If that is the case you need to look at how it was done, and redo it. It might even be that the address is generated from a bitmap with the logo, in which case you will need to regenerate the bit map.

b/ the address might come from the flf license file. I have seen this done where partners are concerned about the customer usign the license at at second address, and ue this as a backwards (if bizzare) method of copy protection. In that case you would need to modify the report to pull from the correct fields in the Company Information table instead.

Note that Invoices etc. are very custom things, and every client does them differnetly and thus there are different ways of doing this. Its an area of NAV where really there is no “Best practice”, and you do need to relly on your partner doing what is best for you. I am personally opposed to using the license file to generate the address information for many reasons. For example I saw where it had been done at a cleint site. After many years of using NAV, they purchased some new granule, and for some reason there was a minor change to the address on the new FLF file, which meant all invoices were printing wrong. Also even though I never normally like hard coding.There are actually valid reasons to hard code the address into the report it self, though try to avoid that if possible.

I think b is not a concern, becuase the license they have has the new address.

a is a possibility, but we can cross that bridge if we fins the company information update does not work [:D]

Hello

I sincerely appreciate the assistance. Here’s what is unfolding. The address information is in General Ledger/ Setup/ Business Information/ Graphics.

The left screen shows a graphic, the company logo. The right screen show the company address, this to is a graphic. I have three options: Import, Export, Delete. I attempted, to experiment, to Import. That failed because II could not locate any graphic files to import.

I did a search locally c: program files/ navision for *.bmp, Nothing. I did a search within the Navision folders on the Server, and came up with no bmp files. In fact I did a *.jpg, tif, psd search, and came up with nothing.

The graphics must exists because every invoice is sent out with the logo and address. Before I can delete the old graphic address, and import a new graphic address I need to determine where the current Navision Business Information graphics are located. Once I know where the graphic files are located than I will be able to create the new business address graphic in Photoshop, and import it.

I need to be careful as I work with the graphic address. To prevent a mistake it is best to know the proper steps. Thanks

Hello

I sincerely appreciate the assistance. Here’s what is unfolding. The address information is in General Ledger/ Setup/ Business Information/ Graphics.

The left screen shows a graphic, the company logo. The right screen show the company address, this to is a graphic. I have three options: Import, Export, Delete. I attempted, to experiment, to Import. That failed because II could not locate any graphic files to import.

I did a search locally c: program files/ navision for *.bmp, Nothing. I did a search within the Navision folders on the Server, and came up with no bmp files. In fact I did a *.jpg, tif, psd search, and came up with nothing.

The graphics must exists because every invoice is sent out with the logo and address. Before I can delete the old graphic address, and import a new graphic address I need to determine where the current Navision Business Information graphics are located. Once I know where the graphic files are located than I will be able to create the new business address graphic in Photoshop, and import it.

Hi,

The bitmap is held in the Nav database and has probably been removed from the server. What I would suggest is to export the file and then edit it (or create a new one) and import. Best would be to test this on a test company or database.

I needed to carefully inspect this graphic situation. In General Ledger / Setup / Company Information /Graphic

Upon opening the company information the company graphic is visible with logo and text. On the server where Navision is installed I did a search for *.bmp. I found the company.bmp. I opened it, and it is exactly as the one generated in GL / Company Information. In photoshop I removed the incorrect text and updated the graphic. I copied out (backup) the old company.bmp replacing it the the newest version.

Running an invoice test print the old invoice was printed. Opening up General Ledger / Company Information the old graphic was visible. I don’t understand this because only the newest bmp file is on the server. I removed from the server (navision) the old bmp. My thought would be that Navision would only be capable of grabbing the only viable bmp file.

This is a problem because on the server (navision) there is only one company.bmp and it is the newest version.

In Company Graphic there are three buttons: export, import, delete. If I open export the default directory where the bmp should be stored is empty. What I did was export the company.bmp. (Old version) that was visible on the screen, in the Company Information window. Than I launched import to find that the recently exported company.bmp was there, and I simply imported that file. That proved I could export, and than import. And I proved after this operation I could populate the directory where the bmp is exported/imported from.

What I don’t know is where the actual graphic is located that is being ‘pulled’ into our invoices. What I can do this weekend after everyone is off Navision, and I do a Navision backup is this: I can import the newest version of the bmp and test it. I don’t know how risky this experiment would be. And I don’t know what the delete function in company information /graphic would have on the database. I don’t know the consequences if I delete the old version bmp graphic visible in Company Information would have on the database.

I would appreciate any insight into my advancing lessons on replacing (without damage, harm to the Navision database) the old company bmp graphic with a newer version.

Thanks for your assistance

Hi,

The graphic is stored in the database itself (in the company information table as a binary field) not on a network drive so placing the new graphic on the server will have no effect. What you will have to do is to import the graphic into the database and then your invoices will print with the new logo.

Thank you for your response. I do have all the manuals for this Navision version. The manuals are lacking in how to do the graphics. Thus my need to write to the forum. I do apologize for my beginner status. When you say ‘import the graphic into the database’ is this done in GL/ Company Information /Graphic /Import? I need to be clear. If I ‘import’ my new bmp (replacing the old bmp) the new bmp enters into the database? Is this correct. Thanks

Hi,

First of all - no need to apologize - we all have to start sometime. [;)]

Yes you have it correct. The Import option takes the bmp file and stores it in a BLOB (Binary Large OBject) field. When printing/displaying the code does not go to the file location but gets the image out of the BLOB field. I would recommend that you try this in a test company as you might have sizing issues with the image.