Additional costs to drop shipments

We have just recently had Navision installed and the one thing I am having a real problem with is allocating costs to drop shipments. The types of costs would be freight, customs and the like which we often don’t know the exact amounts until the item has been received and invoiced to our customer. To get our cost of goods sold accurate I need to allocate these costs. Any suggestions. I have called our developer/help desk and he says it just isn’t possible. This is a real world situtation so it must be possible somehow. Thanks, Jerome

Hi, I think the “Real Cost” is fiction or dream. Just think about this. You work with real people and real companies. How often do you receive invoices that you do not know how to allocate? How often do users allocate invoices wrong? How often do users select wrong Item? …… And the main question is: What is quality of your data? From my point of view you will create more problems if you will try to allocate additional cost invoices to Items. You should ask to calculate Indirect Cost % and populate it in the Item Card. Believe me the quality of data will be better, you will be able to explain results and you will not need to correct each user mistake. If company cannot calculate additional cost before order Items they have huge problem and you try to cover this problem. Valentin Gvozdev BMI Inc.

I am attempting to apply indirect cost % to inventory purchase invoices in 3.01. I can apply the indirect cost %, but this percentage is NOT factored in to my item’s average cost (using average costing). It is tracked in the “Unit Cost” field, but that does not help me as the incorrect cost will be reflected on sales documents, etc. In version 2.6, the average cost was affected by the indirect cost %. Does anyone know why this was changed in 3.X???

quote:

Originally posted by Valentin Gvozdev: Hi, I think the “Real Cost” is fiction or dream. Just think about this. You work with real people and real companies. How often do you receive invoices that you do not know how to allocate? How often do users allocate invoices wrong? How often do users select wrong Item? …… And the main question is: What is quality of your data? From my point of view you will create more problems if you will try to allocate additional cost invoices to Items. You should ask to calculate Indirect Cost % and populate it in the Item Card. Believe me the quality of data will be better, you will be able to explain results and you will not need to correct each user mistake. If company cannot calculate additional cost before order Items they have huge problem and you try to cover this problem. Valentin Gvozdev BMI Inc.

Valentin has pointed out a “real” problem. When I look at the questions in this forum, than I have the impression, that our clients have a problem, which we - most of the time, me too - try to solve by programming. But the first step should be to ask such questions, as Valentin has done. We should take more into our considerations the environment, the flow of informations, where the problem is located, which we should solve. Michael

I suppose that you can solve a large portion of this “real worls problem” with Item Charges in Navision Attain. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

Item Charges will not solve my problem, as Item Charges can only effectively be used to assign direct costs to inventory. I am attempting to add indirect costs to the inventory while processing the purchase invoice. I am just wondering why the “Indirect Cost %” field functions differently during the post in version 3.01 than it did in version 2.6. To reply to Valentin’s comments, the reason I cannot add an Indirect Cost % to the Item Card is because the costs vary depending on where that item is being purchased from, what other goods were received at the same time. (They are allocating internal shipping charges for inventory that their trucks picked up from their vendor). As we all know, many of our customers do not practice good accounting. It is my job as a consultant to (1) state what the proper accounting methods are, and (2) to implement a solution that meets their needs if they refuse to alter their practices. Ken

Hi Ken, I think its a pretty Bug. Indirect cost % on purchase line really doesnt modify the other from item card. Soya

Hi all, I don’t understand why there is a Problem. I agree with “Lars Strøm Valsted”. Jerome should use the Item charges it works perfect with NA 3.10. I have been using it for last 6 months it don’t create any problem. well in regards to Jerome statement he has to update Cost to the Purchase receipts and then the run the Inventory Costing thus it will update the COGS. I guess So … Bangli