Add a new user to a Business Central VM Container Install

Hi All,

I am new to Business Central, and have installed a BC Container on a VM, It has created an admin user for me in Business Central but I would now like to create additional users, however when i go to the users window and click on New it says ‘You cannot add or delete users on this page. Administrators can manage users in the Office 365 admin centre’

I do not have Office 365 admin centre on this VM machine so wanted to know if there was a way to creates users without Office 365?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

S

Hi S,

If you need to make new users in a BC sandbox running on a local machine, then you need to use the New-NavContainerNavUser Powershell CmdLet from navcontainerhelper.

Hi Erik,

i did use the New-NavContainerNavUser Powershell CmdLet from navcontainerhelper, (see attached file, on the file I entered the container name, tenant name and user name in the parameters section. however when I run this in Powershell I get the following message.

Export-ModuleMember : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:52 char:1

• Export-ModuleMember -Function New-NavContainerNavUser
  • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Export-ModuleMember], NullReferenceException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportModuleMemberCommand

I cannot see where I have gone wrong so any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards

S6708.New_Navcontainernavuser.txt (2.86 KB)

Hi Erik,

I forgot to say, can you please confirm in which directory in Powershell, I should be running this code.

Regards

S

You should not be running that code directly. It’s part of a module and should be installed and used like that.

Install the NavContainerHelper cmdlets from Powershell with: install-module navcontainerhelper -force

When [mention:b333cd6bdab44ca0937d30924b6e46e4:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] updates the module again (happens every few weeks or so), then just run: update-module navcontainerhelper -force

Hi Erik

I ran the NavContainerHelper cmdlets from Powershell with: install-module navcontainerhelper -force

and it installed successfully, but I still cannot create a user in the users window in BC, so I am not sure what I am getting wrong or not understanding clearly.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

S

What did you write in PowerShell to add the user, and what messages did you get, when running it?

Hi Erik

I managed to resolve this issue, I was using PowerShell and I should have used Powershell ISE where I could see the command box.

Thank you for your patience and help in this matter.

Regards

S

I should have said PowerShell ISE, command line Powershell is more difficult to use, especially if you are just learning.

As the last thing, please verify the answer that helped you. This way other users can skip to the answer. [emoticon:c4563cd7d5574777a71c318021cbbcc8]