Account Structure & Advance rule structure

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the difference, between the “Configure Account Structure” and the “advanced rule structure”. and how i can use because i have the confusion using them. For the configuration Account structure what i understand is, we create the structure for some bundle of account and attach the financial dimension, so that whenever we use that account in the transaction system will tell you structure.

Same we are doing in the advance rule structure. Can you please tell me the difference.

thanks in advance

Hi,

As mentioned by you, account structure is basically combination of ledger accounts and financial dimensions. In advance rule structure itself, you can put some restriction for selection of financial dimensions. For example, based on Financial dimension 1, user will have limited option for financial dimension 2.

Advance rule is structure is mandatory for GL operation in an entity.

Advanced rule structure focusses mainly on financial dimension. Here also you can define rules like based on what value is selected in financial dimension 1, financial dimension 2 values will be available on journals.

So the point to note is:

1. COA structure is mandatory while advanced rule structure now.

2. The COA configuration also has capability of restricting financial dimensions.

3. Advance rule structure is also global. You can create one advance rule and apply it to several COA structure. Advance rule structure is more helpful if you have multiple companies using same or different COA.

4. For single entity, i think you can go ahead with COA structure only.

Pranav…

thanks Pranav for reply.

Can u please explain it with some example, so that it will more easy to understand.

I think that you are working on the AX 2009 , there is functionality called Dimension set, Dimension set hierarchy and Dimension set rule in 2009.

As you know that during posting any documents /journals like Invoice journal / Payment journal User will attach the dimensions , then post the transactions. If user do not attach the dimensions system will throw the error.

The functionality can be achieved using the Dimension set and hierarchy in AX 2009 , .

In Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, account structures replace what was accomplished through dimension sets, dimension set hierarchies, and dimension set rules in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009.

Account structures consist of the main accounts and can include any financial dimensions as segments. An account structure is used to define the valid dimensions

which, together with the main accounts, form a chart of accounts. You can create multiple account structures that can be mapped to the same legal entity or company.

You have the dimension like Business unit , depatment , Cost centre. Your client told if user posting any transactions which will effect the BS accounts then the Business unit is manadatory , which will effect the P&L accounts the Department and cost centre is mandatory.

For example, assume that all of your P/L accounts in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 have the main account range between 40000 and 99999 and all of your B.S. accounts in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 have the main account range between 10000 and 39999. You could create two account structures: one called ‘Account Structure - P&L’; and the other called ‘Account Structure - B.S.’. You could then map all of your 40000 - 99999 main accounts to the ‘Account Structure - P&L’ account structure and all of your 10000 - 39999 main accounts to the ‘Account Structure - B.S’ account structure. You could then select which financial dimensions could be assigned as segments to the ‘Account Structure - P&L’ and ‘Account Structure - B.S.’ account structures. For example, you may want to have validation rule setup for the Department and Cost Center financial dimensions for the P/L accounts assigned to the ‘Account Structure - P&L’ account.

Advance rule :

Advanced rules can provide for additional dimensions outside of the account structure.

For example for the P&L accounts , when the Department is either the Dep1 or Dep115 Department financial dimension value then you could select the C1 as Cost center financial dimension value. If you were to select a different Cost center financial dimension value, the validation will fail.

thanks lally for ur wonderful effort.

I am using AX 2012, and know the Account Structure configuration and now it more clear with ur example ans explanation.

What we are doing on the Advance rule, the same we are doing in the Account structure, e.g i create the BS structure and add the segment as Cost Center and then we are defining the values (this all we did in the Account Structure configuration). Now coming to the advance rule, in the advance rule i am just selection the Dimensions and there value.

This is what the confusion i have, if the value assigning part can be done on the Account Structure Configuration form then, what is the use of the Advance rule form.