You cannot use the file D: \Navision\... \xxx.fdb because it is already in use

Hello everyone.

I am getting this funny error message with one of my client when the user is trying to log on his NAV (client - server mode). “You cannot use the file D: \Navision… \xxx.fdb because it is already in use”.He is selecting the proper server name and database name. This problem is eratic, and the client have to restart the server to get it working everytime.

Can anyone help on this please.

Cheers

The Lord…

Hi,

It look like they are tring to connect directly to the database instead for through the service - The first connect will be ok and then the second will get the message. Check all the clients.

Hi Dave

This problem is only with 1 user, while all others can work fine.

Can you please tell me how i can check if they are connecting through the service or directly?

Thanks

The Lord…

Hi,

Go to File → Database → Information

For users connected via the server/service you will see a server name otherwise you will only see a database if connected directly.

Hi Dave,

the client is connected to a server. But do you think we have to verify the services on the server if it is failing after some time, and this is why after rebooting the server it is working properly? But other users are not getting this problem who are also connected to the same server…

Cheers

The Lord…

Hi,

In my experience, it’s a user who is connecting direct what is causing the error and the reboot is just clearing the connection. Check that noone is logging onto the server and launching a session which is connection locally instead of using the service.

How many sessions are connected?

It is most likely the client that is displaying the error but a different client.

same thing ever happened to me, with 40+ user/sessions.
like DaveT said, just make sure all of connected sessions are using database server connection.

Hi Dave,

I have 12 licences and usually have about 6 to 7 users/sessions connected at a time. I believe they have around 20 users in all.

Hi Joe,

Do you mean to say that i have to check each of the 20 users PC and make sure they are connected using the database server connection?

Cheers

The Lord…

dear Lord <— seems like i’m praying ha ha ha …
yes you are. you need to check every client working with NAV if their connection parameter is correct.
just make sure, server name is filled with correct server name and not [Client Only].
database name is filled with correct db path.

Hi Joe,

This is god here :smiley: :smiley:

Ok i will try to see if i can connect to each users PC (they are all on a remote location…)

If the solution is something else, i will make sure i update it here. If not, thank you guys for all your support

Cheers

The Lord…

Do you guys think it can be a general server problem? Because i checked the client’s server’s event viewer and i can see lots of errors and conflicts. THe client have been rebooted the server nearly everyday for numerous network related issues.

Please comment

Cheers

The Lord…