Year Level Security

Hi, I would like to check if we could have year level security in Navision Attain 3.10 using Native database. If yes how do we do that Best Rgds Patro

Please explain what you mean by Year level security. If what you want is to prevent certain users from posting entries in previous or coming years, then look at General Ledger, Setup, General Ledger Setup and read the helptext for the fields Allow Posting From and Allow Posting To. Also, goto General Ledger, User, User Setup and read the helptext for the fields Allow Posting From and Allow Posting To Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

What I mean I want users to see only year specific data. The users should not be able to see financial datas of previous years. Say for example In navision I am having datas for last 5 years. I would like to give an security access to a Accountant who could see all financial datas for only current year. Is it possible in Navision Attain Native database. best rgds Patro

As far as I know it is not possible. Once I had a simular(…) request from a customer: he wouldn’t allow certain users to look up ledger-entries on certain ledger-accounts. To solve this I check on the ledger-entry-form whether the user is allowed (via “CurrForm.VISIBLE(true/false)”). Not a perfect solution, but it works.

quote:

Originally posted by Anfinnur: As far as I know it is not possible. Once I had a simular(…) request from a customer: he wouldn’t allow certain users to look up ledger-entries on certain ledger-accounts. To solve this I check on the ledger-entry-form whether the user is allowed (via “CurrForm.VISIBLE(true/false)”). Not a perfect solution, but it works.

I concur. The security in Attain 3.10a seems to be identical to previous versions, so in order to implement security the way you are talking about is to have it set from every form that the user can access that looks at those records. It ends up being a very pervasive modification for something like G/L Entries, because you can lookup to the G/L from pretty much everywhere in the system, plus you have the Customer and Vendor Ledgers & SubLedgers, and Item and Value Entry Ledgers, etc. Very nasty stuff! I’m curious why you don’t wish the accountant to see data from a previous year? Perhaps if the accountant doesn’t need too much “slice & dice” functionality from Navision, you could export a snapshot to Excel for your accountant to work with. That would be a heck of a lot easier than modifying all those bloody forms! wink Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

Hi Patro, As defining/managing security from thru’ Forms is neither practical nor feasible solution(in terms of cost for extra forms). The better solution for you is to migration to MS SQL Option wherein you can specify/control access to records much better way with less complications. Regards

I disagree that it cannot be done. From Attain 3.01 onwards it is possible to define, on the permissions given to each role, field level security filters on tables attached to that role. You COULD set filters here to achieve it i.e. on the Posting Date field in the GL entries table, which of course applies ON EVERY FORM AND REPORT accessing this table. I have done it, though not on date fields and not on GL Entry table, but do not see why it cant be done on date fields and GL entries. However I agree it is not a pretty solution nor is it easy.