writing data into a textfile

Hey all, for control purposes i write complete data records into a textfile (just the records i amended). To make it easy i write the record with FILENAME.WRITE(FORMAT(Rec)); into an asciifile. The problem is, that FORMAT only writes 250 characters into the file. Often we have records with more than 250 characters (if the record is transformed into ascii-characters). Is there a way to write down the complete record ? I want to avoid writing every field of the record separately. Stefan Weinreich Billing Analyst

The only way to write a Record to a file with more than 250 characters is, - as far as I know -, to upgrade NAVISON to Attain 3.x, where 1024 characters are possible. Regards, Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

You could create a COM DLL in e.g. VisualBasic which does all the file handling. The COM object will export routines for opening, closing and writing a file, and can be used from within Navision with an automation variable. You can then pass a string of arbitrary length to your custom output subroutine. It’s a bit of work, but easier than upgrading :wink: – Heinz Herbeck Waagner-Biro AG, Vienna, Austria

Hi, In Navision 3.01 and 3.10 it’s writing more than 25 characters. Please upgrade with Navision3.x version.

Hi, In Navision 3.01 and 3.10 it’s writing more than 250 characters. Please upgrade with Navision3.x version.

You might aswell try to write character by character to the text file - in this case the 250 limitation does not apply. It defintely needs some more coding, but it’s a possible solution. Performce is still acceptable. I realized this a couple of days ago the other way around, importing a text file with more than 250 characters per line - have a look at the follwing post on how to code it and what variables to use: Limit f.READ to 250 characters Saludos Nils Edited by - nilsm on 2002 Aug 06 14:26:38