Windows XP SP2 and Navision desktop shortcuts

Hi, Just installed Windows XP SP2 RC2 on my machine and now all the desktop shortcuts like the one below no longer work. navision://client/run?servername=test%26database=test%26company=test%26target=Form%20330%26servertype=MSSQL Suppose this is a new security feature of SP2 but how do we disable this? Not an urgent problem but it will become more important when SP2 is released to the general public as it will start breaking stuff. Thanks Meint

Well, as there were no responses here we have logged it with MBS and are awaiting their response… Nobody else dared to install SP2 yet ?

Ok, MBS have managed to replicate the problem and it should be fixed in a later build of SP2. At the moment this build is not yet public, but it should be included in the final version when it comes out, which is probaby where the majority of end-users will install it. MD P.S. this is one way of increasing my posts, responding to my own topic :slight_smile:

quote:

Originally posted by meintd
P.S. this is one way of increasing my posts, responding to my own topic :slight_smile:

Hm, I think you don’t get any credits if you responding more than once to a topic. However, I get one point now. I really like these MS-guys. Closing one hole, open 10 others. Fixing a bug, getting 8 more. Very smart.

Has anybody installed the final version of SP2 for XP to see if this has indeed been fixed? As far as I can see on my machines it is still very broken… Meint

You have installed the final version of SP2? And it still doesn’t work? Too bad… [:(] We use the navision-link in an email which is being send when a record (complaint) is added. I asked my network administrator and he fortunately said he will not install SP2 for now. Hopefully when he wants to install it, the bug will be fixed. [;)]

Here’s a snip from the MBS newsgroup ‘microsoft.public.navision’ that may be relevant:

quote:

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 I can’t open shortcuts to > Navision forms. I get a messagebox saying > > ------------------------------------------------ > navision://client/run?servername… etc > > Access is denied. > ------------------------------------------------ > > I suppose this has to do with the new security adjustments done by sp2, > but I sincerely hope this is something we can circumvent as we use this > kind of shortcuts quite a lot. Any suggestion to how I might do that? > The problem can be solved by changing the value of a registry key on the client computer. Find the key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\navision\shell\open\command] Remove the double backslash so that there is only single backslash in the path to finhlink.exe I hope this solves your problem Best regards Jens Christian Schrøder [MSFT]

Hi Fritz, That did the job quite nicely. Must be a problem with the install routine of the Navision client then rather than an SP2 feature because the default format of that registry key looks wrong all together with the double slash. Bit painful to change it on 100 desktop boxes throughout the organisation though, unless you have the power of System Management Server at your disposal. Many thanks Meint

Not too hard to do if you are on Group Policy… Just export the Reg entry to a reg file and dump it in the group policy to deploy. Or, you can just dump it on the login script.

quote:

Originally posted by meintd
Hi Fritz, That did the job quite nicely. Must be a problem with the install routine of the Navision client then rather than an SP2 feature because the default format of that registry key looks wrong all together with the double slash. Bit painful to change it on 100 desktop boxes throughout the organisation though, unless you have the power of System Management Server at your disposal. Many thanks Meint

I have XP SP2 - no observed problems. Running version - Navision 3.01 non-SQL