why we need to upgrade navision

we have currently navision 3.1 and we want to know the benefits of upgrading to 3.7 or 4… we need specific benefits in each modules… all info is welcomed

As far as I know: 3.1 is not supported by Microsoft anymore. So the first benefit is: Upgrade your system and you will receive service packs for your solution.

It’s interesting that the Attain product…3.01 and 3.10 have already been retired. Yet…Navision 2.60 and 2.65 will not be retired until December 31, 2005. Something doesn’t quite fit, unless virtually no clients are on the original Attain product or have subsequently been upgraded to 4.X. Here’s the calendar with product version and Support Retired Date Product Name Mainstream Support Retired Navision 3.70 31-Oct-2006 Navision 3.6 31-Dec-2005 Navision 3.1 30-Jun-2005 Navision 3.01 31-Dec-2004 Navision 2.65 (Financials, Distribution, Manufacturing) 31-Dec-2005 Navision 2.6 (Financials, Distribution, Manufacturing) 31-Dec-2005 Navision 2.5 (Financials, Distribution, Manufacturing) 31-Dec-2004

The reason for the earlier retirement of versions 3.01 and 3.10 (as compared to 2.6) is probably, that it is much easier to upgrade a solution from Version 3.x to subsequent versions than lifting an older solution. regards Daniel

masqazi Contact your VAR. According to Microsoft, they “should” be able to tell you what the differences are between versions. In reality, it depends on the VAR. Some VARs can and will do it and some can’t or won’t. The biggest problem is, delta docs are normally from one version to the next. To do a delta review over multiple versions becomes a manual effort of looking at ALL the delta docs from your version to the current version. I had a heated discussion with a person from MS on this specific issue. MS does not have a document that will tell you what the differences are over multiple versions. Or at least they claimed they don’t have this document. They told me “the VAR can provide that to you.” Basically they passed the work of doing the multi version delta down to the VAR. So make your VAR do some work for their maintenance fee. gud luk Gary

MS has such feature change/enhancements documents - from v2.6-3.70 to 4.0, along with discontinued granules and their functional replacements, all in one downloadable .zip from PartnerSource… but I dont remember where exactly I found it. Try a search there… Its not marked “Partner use only”, so maybe I can upload it here - if I find out HOW…

3.01 and 3.10 had a lot of ‘features’ - I am guessing that’s why they retired them so quick. As to why you should upgrade, I would like to ask you, what granules you make use of today? I would think if you use manufacturing and/or warehouse you deffenetly want to go to 4.00 SP1 - If you use SQL - again you deffenetly want to go to 4.00 SP1. Performance are MUCH better now, than it used to be. AS for the SQL, you can decide to only to get the new executables… Also - a tip: If you decided to upgrade, I would suggest that you basicly look at this as a new implementation; I am guessing you have a number of customizasions that no longer are used / required…

Good things are new possibilities to communicate with external applications - Business Notifications, XMLPorts, Employee portal, new tools for optimizing work on MS SQL - FindFirst, FindLast, FindSet, Lock timeout, disabled Recordlevellocking hinting, possibility to use MS SQL 2005 - reporting, performance…