Which version of NF works with SQL2000?

I have problems with NF 2.60D (SQL Option). I cannot create new database (open existing). NF tell me what i have invalid codepage. I can’t find solution (codepage in SQL2000 depends on database, not main server). Which version of NF (except Attain) works with SQL2000? Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

2.60.D should work fine with SQL 2000. 2.50 will only work with SQL 7.0. Look in the installation manual för SQL option. You will find imfomation about codepages there. Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

What is the exact error message? What are your client computer’s ansi and oem code pages? What is your server default code page on the SQL Server 2000 server?

None Navision version works satisfying with MS SQL ! Best Regards Gustav Jensen Billing Consultant

Last reply was great! I agree, but customer always right. Message: “ANSI or OEM code page on your computer does not match the 1257 code page on the server”. From server’s registry (Win2000Srv+SP2,MSSQL2000+SP1): HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Codepage: ACP=“1257” (Latvia) OEMCP=“775” HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer: DefaultCollationName=“Latvian_CI_AS” From client’s registry (Win2000Pro+SP2,MSSQL2000_Client+SP1): HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Codepage: ACP=“1257” (Latvia) OEMCP=“775” What is wrong? Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

Addition: NF Client installed locally on server (through “localhost”) doesn’t works too! Very strange. May be something wrong in SQL. Where i can see code page used by SQL as default. Setup of “Collatings” available only during database creation via “SQL Exterprise Manager”, but server (SQL2000) do not have this settings. But “Attain” works fine!!! Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

Hi, It is probably your server default collation type that is the problem. It is most likely a Windows collation and not a SQL collation. In the Query Analyzer tool connect to your server and execute the statement: SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(‘master’, ‘Collation’), COLLATIONPROPERTY(CAST(DATABASEPROPERTYEX(‘master’, ‘Collation’) AS VARCHAR(128)), ‘CodePage’) This will show the name of the server default collation and the code page of that collation. What are they? The code page should be 1257 to match your clients. The collation name should be a SQL collation, since 2.6(c->) only supports SQL collations. The name must begin with SQL_. If not, you should re-install the server, using the Custom setup and choosing an appropriate SQL collation in the collation tab. Alternatively, detach your databases and run the rebuildm utility. But this is usually no faster than a reinstall. Attain has support for multiple separate collations for each database so the behaviour is quite different.

I found solution. SQLServer must be installed in compatibility with prev. versions mode (Baltic 1257 codepage mode). May be it only for my (Latvian) region. No one from Latvian collations do not works for NF2.6d(!) client. Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

quote:

Originally posted by robertc: Attain has support for multiple separate collations for each database so the behaviour is quite different.

Is it a solution to install Atain 3.01 SQL Client with 2.60 functionallity if yo hav a SQL 2000 server? Have any one tryed this? Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

Peter, I don’t know exactly what you mean. You can use a 3.01 client running a 2.6 application (i.e. this is only a SQL client and C/SIDE upgrade, not an application upgrade) without a problem. But you must upgrade all you clients to 3.01. You cannot have 2.6 clients. It is recommended that you do this for a SQL solution because of performance improvements, but you should use 3.01B or later, and pay attention to the memory installed on your clients, since 3.01 requires more. But none of this has anything to do with collations!

quote:

Originally posted by robertc: But none of this has anything to do with collations!

Are that not one of the features in 3.01.B, that you can select collations from the database and not only from the SQL 2000 server? Works 3.01.B also with SQL 7.0, or do you have do upgrade to SQL 2000? What are the new client’s requirements for HW? Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com Edited by - per bay on 2001 Nov 27 15:55:56

In terms of collations, 3.01x allows you to use separate collations for different databases when running against SQL Server 2000. (A collation encapsulate the following, as a minimum: a specific character ordering; a code page; a case-sensitivity; an accent-sensitivity; a locale id). The old requirement that your client ANSI or OEM code page matches the code page of the collation chosen for a particular database is still true. 3.01x can still run against SQL Server 7.0, but this collation feature is not available since 7.0 does not support per-database collations; only per-server. In terms of client hardware, 3.01B uses more client memory for extended caching of result set data from SQL Server, for performance reasons. It does this based on available physical memory on the client machine when the database is opened; if the memory is low then this caching is much reduced. If you have 64MB clients, then this low threshold will be used, which gives performance still better much than 2.6 but must use a reduced cache. 128MB and above will allow greater cache usage but will then depend on other applications running on the client along with Attain. If you have long running batch jobs it is advisable to run them on client machines with memory above your average clients; e.g. >= 256MB.

What do you think about memory usage in an Citrix Enviroment for 20 users running 3.01.B clients? 64 * 20?, 128 * 20?, or what? Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

It depends on the tasks all 20 users are performing, assuming they are all connected simultaneously. Pure UI tasks, or order creation for example, does not make heavy demands on memory and 64MB should be adequate. Posting or manufaturing batch jobs do make heavy demands and will perform the best with >128MB and >256MB respectively, per user. My advise is to begin with around 128MB per user and scale up if necessary. You can observe the memory usage with the NT performance monitor on the server. If available physical memory is dropping below 100MB when users are still connecting, then their tasks may be adversly affected, performance wise.