Welcome

Welcome to this new forum. As Mbsonline has grown, (and now with 20,000+ members it has really come of age), a large part of the membership is made up of those starting out with Dynamics Navision. When NOLUG started out, it was primarily Navision OS/2-DOS-UNIX users moving to windows, so most people in the group already had a good understanding of Navision. But that is quite different now. Erik, myself, and a number of other users (those who have public email addresses) are regularly emailed by new Navision users with questions. I guess because the high level of topics makes them a little reluctant to post in the regular forums. Well here you can post the most basic questions and get answers. of course use the search tool first, and if you find an answer, please reply on that existing topic that it helped you. Just a quick “Hey thanks, this topic was very useful to me.” is enough, it pushes it to the front page again, and helps others to learn as well. Don’t be embarrassed to ask even the simplest of questions. I would like this forum to help new Dynamics Navision users to learn Navision, and the best way to learn is by reading questions and replying. And in these terms I will ask for a different level of reply here than normal. I would like new users to attempt to answer questions. If you are not sure, then say so, but at least try, you wont get flamed in this forum like you might in another, if you are blatantly wrong someone will let you know politely. If you have a slightly different answer, or do not agree with the posted answer, ask why, or state your position, there are no really wrong answers in Navision, just less optimal options. Marq, thanks for the encouragement, and congrats on the upcoming wedding. As a closing point. I learnt a great deal of my Navision knowledge by looking at questions posted on NOLUG, and trying them out in Navision, and then replying, so it was a great learning tool for me, just as it can also be for you. Any opinions or ideas, please reply to this thread. Thanks David Singleton.

I would like to second those sentiments. If you are a beginner in the wonderful world of Navision, I would like you to create a new Navision database just for yourself, to try stuff out. Put a blank Cronus database in a new folder and mess around with that database. For all regular readers trying to learn something, study along with other people’s posts. When someone is posting about something you haven’t done before, do it in your own database to get some hands on experience. You will learn a lot from it, and you will discover things you can add to the discussion. Good idea David :slight_smile: and friends :smiley:

quote:

I would like new users to attempt to answer questions. If you are not sure, then say so, but at least try, you wont get flamed in this forum like you might in another, if you are blatantly wrong someone will let you know politely.

Maybe it’s an idea to disable the ‘Angry’- and the ‘Disapprove’-smilies ([:(!] [V]) in this forum. [;)]

quote:

For all regular readers trying to learn something, study along with other people’s posts. When someone is posting about something you haven’t done before, do it in your own database to get some hands on experience. You will learn a lot from it, and you will discover things you can add to the discussion.

That’s one of the ways I’m trying to get my programming in Navision to a higher level. And I think it works. [:D] Good luck, David!

quote:

Marq, thanks for the encouragement, and congrats on the upcoming wedding.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Sep 28 : 01:17:23

Thanks, it is getting realy close now [8D] I will try to help where possible. During the past 7 years I’ve trained dozens of new navision programmers and customising users. It is always nice to see the reaction of people after their first customisations or their first report.