Warehouse Location and how it relates to COA

You might be seeing a lot of me in the coming days… [:)]

My next question is regarding the above topic.

In our warehouse Locations, we have setup:

• Factory - Raw Mat
  • Factory - Packaging
  • Factory - Finished Goods
  • Branch A- Finished Goods
  • Branch A - Returned/Damaged Goods
  • Branch B - Finished Goods
  • Branch B - Returned/Damaged Goods

When I asked our accounting dept, their requirement is that they want to be able to track the contents of each of the above per quantity as well as per value.

So I assume that would mean that in the COA, we would have to also split our Inventory accounts exactly like the above?

Which means, every time there is a new branch, we would have to create 2 new COA accounts for that branch’s inventory: 1 for FG, one for Returned/Damaged Goods.

In Navision, is there a more streamlined way to structure our COA and still fulfill the requirement of Acct to be able to analyse each item above by qtty and value?

Aswin.

That depends [:D]

Have one factory account, run the reports by an item filter on a setting on the item card. You would naturally split returned/damaged goods from your main inventory, but again you can put these into a separate location and only have one inventory account - you just filter by location in these instances.

All that said actually splitting it in the G/L takes no time at all and quickly and easily gives the user the financial position. On Account schedules you just bring in the totalling account, so it is only on the COA you see this snapshot which would probably prove useful. I would not call the base COA in this manner - unstreamlined, just useful to the needs of the company!

Thank you Steve.

You know, I am beginning to realise how open and flexible Navision is. I was always aiming for a best-practises scenario, but there really isnt any is there… like in this case…whether you split the warehouse locations in the coa or not doesnt really matter, as long as you’ve split the locations elsewhere, you can get at the data.

Thanks for your answer. It gives me a greater understanding of the way Nav works.

The open and flexible part is fantastic in may areas, unfortunately it also creates one of the biggest hurdles to get over in an implementation - how does a customer with little knowledge of the system configure it to get the best out of it? The obvious answer is to lean on the experience of the NSC and consultant, but a) this costs money and b) the starting point is generally to “get it to do what the old system did” (which is generally a waste of the open and flexible part [:D]). Still it is a great product to work with!