W2k, CODBC, Financials 2.01.A

Hello, I have the following problem: I install Navision Financials V2.01.A. Then I install C/ODBC from the same CDROM (CODBC.DLL V2.11.00.924). The operating sytem is MS-Windows 2000 SP2 (german). I install this as administrator. Then I logoff and login as user. Now, when I try to make a C/ODBC request (with MS Query for example) I get the following error message: >>The operation system cannot gain access to the file ??? ??? >>Please check that the file type and attributes are correct. Then I press the button and the following message comes up: >>S0000 [Navision Software a/s][Navision Financials ODBC Driver]Base initialization failed I only can press and the request cames back with no data. (The six question marks in the first error box come in the same manner as I have posted it.) I’ve tried a newer codbc.dll (2.11.02.1507 from 28.07.1999) but it doesn’t work too. Rolf

Make sure that the SYSTEM user has full access to C:\ folder. By default W2K/XP has SYSTEM access as part of the default EVERYONE access. When you modify EVERYONE permissions, you also modify the SYSTEM permissions, without knowing it. See “MORE INFORMATION” in the following MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q259151 Excerpt: “By default, the Everyone group has Full Control permissions on an NTFS volume. This permission might have been removed to provide additional security. Individual accounts, such as the Administrator account, may have been added. However, the Everyone group includes the System account. Removing the Everyone group without adding the System account as an individual account renders the paging file unusable.”

quote:

Originally posted by Naji
Make sure that the SYSTEM user has full access to C:\ folder. By default W2K/XP has SYSTEM access as part of the default EVERYONE access. When you modify EVERYONE permissions, you also modify the SYSTEM permissions, without knowing it. See “MORE INFORMATION” in the following MS KB article: Microsoft Support Excerpt: “By default, the Everyone group has Full Control permissions on an NTFS volume. This permission might have been removed to provide additional security. Individual accounts, such as the Administrator account, may have been added. However, the Everyone group includes the System account. Removing the Everyone group without adding the System account as an individual account renders the paging file unusable.”

Hi Naji, thanks for your hint. I’ve verified the permissions and SYSTEM user has Full Control to C:\ and C:\WINNT. I haven’t modified any permissions nor deleted or moved any group. May be this is the problem? Greetings Rolf

Try allowing write access for the User to the folder c:\winnt\system32\ias This corrected my problem I had. Tim

Hi Rolf We have had the same problem and the following helped: Overwriting the existing odbc.dll file in your windows folder with a newer one (as far as I can see it is not the same odbc.dll I have that you have tried ). You can mail me if you want the file Mads Morre Mads

quote:

Originally posted by s3
Try allowing write access for the User to the folder c:\winnt\system32\ias This corrected my problem I had. Tim

Hi Tim, this was the solution to my problem, too. [:)] Thanks much Rolf

Setting NTFS rights to “change” to c:\winnt\system32\ias solved my problem to [:D] Any ideas what it uses IAS for ? Regards Inceptio ApS Dennis Lundtoft Thomsen Managing Consultant, MCSE+I, MMT (Master in Management of Technology) address: Lundøvej 3, 9400 Nørresundby web: www.inceptio.dk e-mail: dlt@inceptio.dk mobile: +45 20 80 57 17