Version Lists

Has anyone found documentation for how Navision want to use the version lists in Navision Attain? Especially I find it interesting to see that they keep the W1 version list, except if the object has been changed locally. Or that is only in most cases. I don’t quite see the clear picture - but then on the other hand, I haven’t spend SO MUCH time with Attain (and especially not the documentation) yet. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

There should be some documentation in the new world wide courseware. I’ll try and dig up some information on Monday and upload it. The W1 version tag should always be kept, followed by the NTR tag, the NSC tag, and finally the customers. At least that was the idea when I last studied this subject. /Michael

This is the way, they use version list for Attain 3.01.A in Sweden, and probably in the rest of the world… Example: 17 G/L Entry: NAVW13.00,NAVSE3.00 The change is that they keep NAVW1 version and add a version for localization. The language is not more a part of the object it’s a language module. Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

This is what I expected. But then I’m most certain that Navision US are not doing it the right way. I’ve found many objects (i.e tables 18 and 23) who have locale fields (i.e. 10015 Tax Exemption No.), but who have only the World Wide version list (NAVW13.01).

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Costello: There should be some documentation in the new world wide courseware. I’ll try and dig up some information on Monday and upload it.

I would appriciate this very much. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Erik, I don’t have the documentation, but I have actually seen it only a few days ago. Per Bay is right in his description, and your suspicion that Navision US is doing it wrong is correct. Lars Strøm Valsted Head of Project and Analysis Columbus IT Partner A/S www.columbusitpartner.com

It was a bit longer since I saw the guidelines for version list… It was back in 97’ in one of the first courseware I seen from Navision. Unfortunately I do not have that avaliable any longer. //Lars

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Westman: It was a bit longer since I saw the guidelines for version list… It was back in 97’ in one of the first courseware I seen from Navision. Unfortunately I do not have that avaliable any longer.

I have the OLD guide lines as well, but they have clearly changed - at least in the area of localization. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Late; however, here’s some of the courseware. The whole subject is in CHAPTER 4 DEVELOPMENT METHODOLOGY and the information can be found on pages 4-26 and 4-27. “However, for consistency and ease of updates, we ask you to use the following order for version tags: . Base Application version tags (first world wide, then NTR). . Other Navision Product version tag. . Add-On version tags. The specific order is unimportant, but should be consistent. We suggest the following: o Other Solution Center Add-Ons o Your own Add-Ons. . Custom modifications version tag. This is normally the order you would add them anyway, so it should be convenient.” Erik to address you example that you pointed out these are not world wide objects; therefore, the should not have the NAVW1 object number. Each country has it’s own range for localized objects. The US range begins with 10,000 and I think goes to 19,999. Please also don’t confuse the localized object range with add-on ranges for NSCs, which are in the millions. By the way Per Bay wrote what I thought I was communicating. Since Navision US wrote the world-wide courseware that’s now being used by Navision a/s. I hardly believe that they are doing things wrong. I definitely believe I may have communicated unclearly. Regardless, I suggest getting the latest courseware and reading the Development Methodology section since with Attain the way stuff is documented has changed (slightly). /Michael

Following your own description, then table 18 (Customer) should have this

NAVW13.01,NAVUS3.01

version list and not

NAVW13.01

. Table 18 has these US specific fields added: 10004 UPS Zone 10015 Tax Exemption No. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

The Australian Attain 3.01A has NAVAU3.01 as the version list for the customer table. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au

There is a document on the UK partner website titled “Object Version Number Syntax Reference”. There is no source identified but the examples given use Danish numbering so that suggests that it is something issued by HQ and therefore should be available everywhere. The document says that objects should keep the NAVW1xxx version and that if it is localised for a particular country, it should have NAVDKxxx or NAVUSxxx or NAVGBxxx and so on appended after the NAVW1xxx bit. If the object is created just for that country, it just has NAVDKxxx etc. Cheers, John

So can we conclude that both Navision US and Navision Australia is using wrong version lists? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Yep, and I wonder how the local products in US and AU passed the review at HQ :slight_smile: Lars Strøm Valsted Head of Project and Analysis Columbus IT Partner A/S www.columbusitpartner.com

Yes, but then on the other hand, I wonder why they’ve never done more to tell the developers about the version lists. I know that it’s part of some developer courseware, but as a “old-time” Navision 3.x (the DOS/IBM OS/2 product) reading courseware is not something I usually does. And I guess I’m not the only one… So why aren’t they more informative? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

Dear Sirs, Please have a look at the latest document version “Object Analysis and Development Methodology” section 4.2 VERSION CONTROL. Source: Training & Certification CD for Navision Attain 3.01 It will cover some of your questions. 4.2 VERSION CONTROL . . . Navision NTR usage Now this is how we use version tags at the Navision NTR level for the base application. The first version tag is usually the world wide base application. It consists of parts; if the version tag says NAVW13.10.01.25, the “NAV” is the product (Navision Attain), “W1” indicates that it is a world wide object, “3” is the major release, “.10” is the minor release, “.01” is the maintenance release (service pack), and the “.25” is the unreleased (but published) hotfix number. In all cases, before we publish a release or an improvement, we turn the Modification flag off. If a level is missing, for example, NAVW13.10, the numbers are left off. The major and minor release numbers are always present, but there may not be a service pack or hotfix as of yet. Since the import utility uses an ASCII compare (character by character), NAVW13.10 is considered earlier than NAVW13.10.01. Many objects are added at the NTR during our localization process. If a base application object exists only in one country, it can of course be recognized by the fact that its object number is in the country’s special range. It can also be recognized by the version tag, which will say (for example) NAVUS3.10.01.25. Note that this is exactly the same as the version tag in the above world wide example, except for the 4th and 5th characters. The “W1”, which indicated world wide, has been changed to “US” indicating that this base application object is from the United States. In addition to adding objects during localization, we also modify world wide base application objects during localization. In this case, there will be two version tags, one the world wide tag, and the second the NTR tag. For example, an object might have NAVW13.10.01.25,NAVUS3.10.00.02 in the Version List field. The first (before the comma) is the world wide version tag, and the second (after the comma) is the NTR version tag. For each other product we create (like Commerce Portal), we create a new version tag as follows: CPOW12.01.02.09, where “CPO” is the three letter Development Methodology 4-25 product code, “W1” indicates it is world wide, “2” is the major and “.01” is the minor release number, “.02” is the service pack, and “.09” is the improvement number. If a base application object is changed, we add the other product’s version tag to the end of the base application version tag, separated by a comma. If this is a new object, we just use the other product version tag. In either case, we turn the modification flag off before we publish any product. If an NTR creates a separate product, the same rules will hold, except the the “W1” would be replaced by (for example) “US”, indicating the NTR. Note that in our examples, each of these tags has a “US” in it, to indicate that it is a United States object. Each country in the Navision World uses their own two-character country code in their version tags, like “DE” for Germany, “UK” for United Kingdom, and “DK” for Denmark. The worldwide version of the application has its own two-letter code, “W1”. Attain Developer Usage Finally, here is our recommendation on how you should use these version tags. You should always leave our version tags alone! As you are making changes, you should leave the modification flag on, and only turn it off when you have created a new version tag and set all changes to that tag. Never turn the modification flag off unless you change the version tag. If you are making minor modifications at a customer site, you do not even need to create a version tag: just leave the modification flag on. If you are creating a major modification for a customer, then you should create a version tag for that customer. Use 2 or 3 characters to represent the customer and add a “00” (two zeroes) to it. Whenever your modifications are stable (working and you will not change it for a little while), you should filter on the modified flag set to yes, and add the new version tag to the Version List. If it is a base application object, separate your new tag from our existing one with a comma (no space). If it is a new object, just use your version tag (erase ours if you copied from one of our objects). Now, remove the filter from the modification flag, and add a filter to the Version List, which will be your version tag preceded and followed by an asterisk (e.g. XYZ00"). You can now turn all the modification flags off. Then, without removing the filter, select all objects and export them all into an fob file named the same as your version tag (e.g. “XYZ00.FOB”). When you make a major upgrade for your customer, you would perform the same steps, except that you would use the next number (e.g. “00” → “01”). Any object that changed (even if it had never been changed before) would receive the new version tag. If one of the customer’s version tags was already on the object, it would merely be changed to get the new number. 4-26 Object Analysis and Development Methodology If you are creating your own add-on product, a similar process would take place. The only difference would be that you would take the letters from your own Solution Center name, and the name of the add-on product, to create the version tag. Thus, like the base application, there will be a 3 letter add-on product code, followed by a 3 letter NSC code (not 2, since it might be the same as a country code), followed by the version numbers as needed. For example, if your NSC was named “Computer Technology Innovators”, and your add-on was named “Bowling Alley Management”, then the first version of this add-on might have a version tag of “BAMCTI01”. Also, we would recommend bringing your working database up to the latest released version of Attain, including all published hotfixes, just before you put your version tags in. This way, any base application object that you have changed will get the latest base application version tags. Of course, if you have to apply the change log manually (since you already modified the base application object with your add-on), you must set our version tag manually as well. Don’t forget to export all changed objects into a single fob file once you have set all the version tags and turned off the modification flags. This is the file you will probably ship out to purchasers of your addon. When you are ready to upgrade your add-on product, take your original version tag and increment the number for each major release. If you are making a minor release, add a “.01” to it for the first minor release, “.02” for the second, and so on. Thus, your original add-on product described above might have a version tag of “BAMCTI01”, the first minor modification would be “BAMCTI01.01” and the second would be “BAMCTI01.02”. The next major release would be “BAMCTI02”. When using multiple version tags, the order is quite important, since the import utility compares 1st with 1st, 2nd with 2nd, and so on. If the order on an imported object is different from the order on the existing object, the comparison will not be done correctly. On the other hand, if the order on one object is different from the order on a different object, that will not matter, since each object is compared individually. However, for consistency and ease of updates, we ask you to use the following order for version tags: . Base Application version tags (first world wide, then NTR). . Other Navision Product version tag. . Add-On version tags. The specific order is unimportant, but should be Development Methodology 4-27 consistent. We suggest the following: o Other Solution Center Add-Ons o Your own Add-Ons. . Custom modifications version tag. This is normally the order you would add them anyway, so it should be convenient. Here are some other examples: A released base application object from an NTR: NAVUS3.10 The same released base application object, with hotfix number 23: NAVUS3.10.00.23 The same object, with the 2nd upgrade of your add-on applied: NAVUS3.10.00.23,BAMCTI02 The same object, installed on your customer site and then customized for that customer: NAVUS3.10.00.23,BAMCTI02,XYZ01 Regards, Yuri Pokusaev IBS, Senior Consultant NCPS, NCSD ypokusaev@yahoo.com +7(095)967-8080 Edited by - ypokusaev on 2001 Nov 22 21:31:34

quote:

Originally posted by ypokusaev: Please have a look at the latest document version “Object Analysis and Development Methodology” section 4.2 VERSION CONTROL. Source: Training & Certification CD for Navision Attain 3.01 It will cover some of your questions.

This CD is not available in Germany. What are the contents of the CD? Michael

CD contents: _private \Certification \Doc \Education \Exams \images \Index.htm \Certification\Certification.opx \Certification\Certifications.htm \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - SQL Server Option.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ïðîãðàììèðîâàíèå.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà + Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà I.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà II.doc \Certification\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Óïðàâëåíèå ôèíàíñàìè.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Certification.opx \Certification_vti_cnf\Certifications.htm \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - SQL Server Option.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ïðîãðàììèðîâàíèå.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà + Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà I.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Ðàçðàáîòêà II.doc \Certification_vti_cnf\Êîíñóëüòàíò Navision Attain - Óïðàâëåíèå ôèíàíñàìè.doc \Doc\Doc.htm \Doc\w1w1adg.pdf \Doc\w1w1int.pdf \Doc\w1w1ism.pdf \Doc\w1w1isql.pdf \Doc\w1w1nas.pdf \Doc\w1w1term.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\Doc.htm \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1adg.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1int.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1ism.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1isql.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1nas.pdf \Doc_vti_cnf\w1w1term.pdf \Education\Courses.htm \Education\Pdf \Education\Pdf\Introduction to Navision World.zip \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Architecture.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Basic Objects.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 C-AL.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Development.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Distribution.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Essentials.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Financial Management.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Integration.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Manufacturing.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Overview.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Programming.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Relationship Management.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Service Management.pdf \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Update Course.PDF \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Èçìåíåíèÿ.PDF \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Îáçîð.PDF \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Îáíîâëåíèå âåðñèè.PDF \Education\Pdf\NAT301 Îñíîâû.PDF \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\Introduction to Navision World.zip \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Architecture.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Basic Objects.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 C-AL.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Development.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Distribution.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Essentials.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Financial Management.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Integration.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Manufacturing.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Overview.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Programming.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Relationship Management.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Service Management.pdf \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Update Course.PDF \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Èçìåíåíèÿ.PDF \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Îáçîð.PDF \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Îáíîâëåíèå âåðñèè.PDF \Education\Pdf_vti_cnf\NAT301 Îñíîâû.PDF \Education_vti_cnf\Courses.htm \Exams\Exams.htm \Exams\RU-00-001 Îáçîð Navision Attain.doc \Exams\RU-00-002 Îñíîâû Navision Attain.doc \Exams\RU-01-010 Óïðàâëåíèå ôèíàíñàìè.doc \Exams\RU-02-009 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî (êâàëèôèêàöèÿ).doc \Exams\RU-02-010 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Exams\RU-02-011 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî äëÿ ðàçðàáîò÷èêîâ.doc \Exams\RU-05-010 Ïðîãðàììèðîâàíèå â Navision Attain.doc \Exams\W1-05-011 Navision Attain Development.doc \Exams\W1-05-012 Navision Attain Development (practical).doc \Exams_vti_cnf\Exams.htm \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-00-001 Îáçîð Navision Attain.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-00-002 Îñíîâû Navision Attain.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-01-010 Óïðàâëåíèå ôèíàíñàìè.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-02-009 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî (êâàëèôèêàöèÿ).doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-02-010 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-02-011 Ïðîèçâîäñòâî äëÿ ðàçðàáîò÷èêîâ.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\RU-05-010 Ïðîãðàììèðîâàíèå â Navision Attain.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\W1-05-011 Navision Attain Development.doc \Exams_vti_cnf\W1-05-012 Navision Attain Development (practical).doc \images\Certif1.gif \images\Certif2.gif \images\clear.gif \images\company.jpg \images\headquarter.gif \images\lowerBg.gif \images\NavLogo.gif \images\NavStyle.css \images\NSC.GIF \images\Partner.jpg \images\selected_11.gif \images\selected_8.gif \images_vti_cnf\Certif1.gif \images_vti_cnf\Certif2.gif \images_vti_cnf\clear.gif \images_vti_cnf\company.jpg \images_vti_cnf\headquarter.gif \images_vti_cnf\lowerBg.gif \images_vti_cnf\NavLogo.gif \images_vti_cnf\NavStyle.css \images_vti_cnf\NSC.GIF \images_vti_cnf\Partner.jpg \images_vti_cnf\selected_11.gif \images_vti_cnf\selected_8.gif _vti_cnf\Index.htm _vti_pvt_x_todo.htm _vti_pvt_x_todoh.htm _vti_pvt\botinfs.cnf _vti_pvt\bots.cnf _vti_pvt\deptodoc.btr _vti_pvt\doctodep.btr _vti_pvt\linkinfo.cnf _vti_pvt\service.cnf _vti_pvt\service.lck _vti_pvt\services.cnf _vti_pvt\structure.cnf _vti_pvt\writeto.cnf _vti_pvt_vti_cnf_x_todo.htm _vti_pvt_vti_cnf_x_todoh.htm Regards, Yuri Pokusaev IBS, Senior Consultant NCPS, NCSD ypokusaev@yahoo.com +7(095)967-8080

Topic moved to “implementation methods” forum. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster