Using VB and CFRONT to insert a record

Marcus, Can’t resist to make some corrections to your remarks on VB, to update you on the current version (6.0): 1) Compiled VB code is equal to C++ compiled code. Both are generated by the same compiler. Speed is depending on how you have been coding, more or less the same as with any language. If speed is critical, you can call API’s, or create a dedicated DLL (with C++ if you like ), for the task. 2) Overhead in compiled VB code often comes from programmers who “forget” to disable unused libraries or controls. 3) C++ or Delphi also rely on external libraries. The difference is that you can safely assume these are present when Windows is installed. For VB you have to provide the runtime modules with your program. Windows 2000 has, by the way, the VB6 runtime included… 4) C++ is great when creating a new program from scratch. For extensions to existing programs, VB(A) would have my preference. Furthermore we should not forget that making a good program depends more on the programmer than on the programming enviroment. My first programming experiences are from some 25 years ago, and I’ve seen crap and slick programs in any language :slight_smile: John Edited by - John Tegelaar on 10/26/00 9:29:33 PM

I agree with the fact it is sloppy programmers who create sloppy applications, not because of the programming language they choose. Since VB is the most widely used language (including VBA and VBScript), and most people (including myself) learn using VB, there are many more “crap” applications out there written in VB than any other language. Currently, C++ and VB both have pros and cons against each other depending on what type of application you are writing. But for the future and Visual Studio.NET, it won’t matter so much what language you choose. Also, DLL Hell will supposedly be over, every language will use the Common Language Runtime, garbage collection is taken care of better, etc. Microsoft’s MSDN site has plenty of this info lately. I agree that the development environment (IDE) needs the most improvment in Navision, regardless of what language is used. A debug window, ability to break when a variable changes, intellisense, etc. would all be nice. Phil

Hi Guys, I’d like to break up this thread as the discussion points in different ways and is getting offtopic. Therefore I open two new threads: * Navision Preferred Developement environment * BizTalk Marcus Marcus Fabian phone: +41 79 4397872 m.fabian@thenet.ch