Usere permissions

1. We are setting up Nav 2009 and I’d like to know the key strokes to set up all the various permission. We want to restrict nealy all from the financial sections.

2. Can we restrict and downloading of data as we have experiance some useds on our old system trying to do this?

3. How do I list all the various standard reports in finacials, sales, stock movents, etc…

Thanks Andy.

i dont know much, but see whether this helps.we can set the license for customer! that way you cant edit only view! and as for your question (3) we can view the reports from Navigation pane! its in the left side!

1 Are you planning to use Windows or Database logins?

2 - Identify your typical user profiles for functional areas; select a user and give that login the Roles specfic to that area (S&R roles, excepting Configuration and SETUP for Sales…). With that login test that you can perform all functions for that job function. Repeat for other job functions.
Add the role = ALL for all users.
Create a role = YOURNAME for all site specific objects that might have been added to the configuration.
FA* or G/L* roles are for Fixed Assets and Finance so only assign these to Finance users.
Do not grant users any access to *SETUP roles…
On the Navigation Pane it is possible and desirable to Assign / Unassign users - Navigation Pane Designer Alt+F12… (Blocking access to Financial Management).
Consider building your own Menus that only have the options that are necesary for the users for each functional area.
Consider removing Setup Menus from the Navigation Pane functional areas.
Our experience is that the permissions in the Roles have not been fully maintained and there are ommissions so you will have to test and adjust as necessary. How to do that - Tools, Security, Roles, Role-Permission, then add the permission needed for the object type / number. Then Tools, Security, Synchronise.

3 Difficult to restrict downloads when Navision now enjoys the MS Office interface; copy and paste or Export To… is a strength of the product offering.

4 The only way to do this is via the Object Designer; and check the output of the report. I know it’s a shortcoming and a pain in the neck. That is the benefit of a good consultant - you say I want a report that does abc and they say yes or no or it depends…

Hope the migration goes well, when is Go-Live?

[:)]

Thanks for the reply.

I’m finding out if we’ll use Windows log in’s or Database log in’s. Where in Nav are the permissions set?

Go live with all 6 UK compaies (without all the bells and whistles) is April 8th. We had to rush the installation due to our old XAL Navison becoming very unstable and constantly crashing…

Andy

User Permissions:

Drop-down menus, Tools, Security.
Roles = Roles with permissions.
Database Logins
Windows Logins
Synchronise One
Synchronise All

Create login (for user) add roles to the login.

From Roles you can see the permission for that role and the assigned Database and Windows logins.

You will need a SUPER login to do this.

Is that OK?

Setting up permissions is easy. Setting up permissions correctly is time consuming. I would highly recommend working with your NAV Partner to do this. They can show you how to use tools like Client Monitor to determine what tables users need access to in order to setup the permissions more efficiently.

Hi Andy,

User Permissions:

Drop-down menus, Tools, Security.
Roles = Roles with permissions.
Database Logins
Windows Logins
Synchronise One
Synchronise All

Create login (for user) add roles to the login.

From Roles you can see the permission for that role and the assigned Database and Windows logins.

You will need a SUPER login to do this.

I think that will be useful for you and if it does not work please feel free to contact me at kgulati@paragyte.com.

Thanks,

Kamal Gulati

Paragyte Technologies

www.paragyte.com