UPGRADE

[:0]HOW HARD IS IT TO UPGRADE FROM 1.1 TO 3.1.0…THE THING IS WE ARE HAPPY WITH 1.1 NO PROBLEMS,BUT IS IT TRUE NO ONE WILL SUPPORT 1.1…

quote:

Originally posted by mc
HOW HARD IS IT TO UPGRADE FROM 1.1 TO 3.1.0

In fact, that’s what I am doing right now. It mainly depends how intensively your application has been modified and how well the changes have been documented. Besides the advantages of W3.10 over W1.1 there is one big argument which speaks for an upgrade: With time passing by you will have more and more difficulties to find developers who know this old version. So to answer your second question: Yes, it will be more and more difficult to get support but no, Navision does not stop support like they did for the old dos-version 3.5x. You don’t state in which continent/country you live but from the time of you posting I suppose you are from the American Continent. I’d recommend to get in Contact with Dave Studebaker who is somehow specialized in upgrades.

In North America, to go from where you are to get to 3.10, you will be upgrading through a few versions, each requiring it’s own upgrade setup and testing. We have a customer that went from Avista to Financials 2.50, and it was a quite involved process to go through each iteration. Fortunately for you, Attain allows a jump from 2.0 or 2.01 right to 3.10, which cuts down on some of the “hops” you’ll need to make. I agree with Marcus that when you take into consideration any modifications you may have, the whole process becomes even more difficult. Added to this that in some of the older versions (Avista for example) the modifications were made slightly differenly from what I would deem a “standard Financials” modification. I’m unsure if this would be the case for a v1.1 database. Hopefully not. We have retained the developer that was in charge of the Avista upgrade from our client, so if you would like to solicit any more detailed analysis of your upgrade options, please feel free to contact me. And as I understand, Dave Studebaker is also an excellent resource!

Marcus and Kristopher, Thank you for the kind words. MC, Liberty Grove Software does offer an upgrade service. You can contact us most easily through our web site at www.libertyforever.com