Upgrade NF 2.0 to 4.0

Hello, we are on the way (that means we started to catch up informations) to upgrade our Navision 2.0 (objects 2.0 engine 2.01) to 4.0. Til now i have only overread the upgrade documentation, as i was searching for a part saying, “when you upgrade from 2.0 you have to first step to 2.6” as this is what our nsc told us. As i told i only overread the docmentation, but am i right with my guess that i can “straight” (including off course all needed steps) go from 2.0 to 4.0 without touching 2.6 ?

Upgrade paths are country specific. Each country decides which paths are going to be possible, so beware of answers you get here, and make sure that they apply to Germany. You may even have to do the 2.00 to 2.01 upgrade first. I nitice you say that “your NSC said”. Upgreades a re a very complex thing, and not a point for you to start learning on, so if you are upgrading your own system, and are asking basica upgrade questions, you may find that ou are not yet ready to to do this yourselves. If there is a reason that you are not going to do it with your NSC, then at least get a third party consultant (there are plenty here on NOLUG), or at least come to some agreement with your NSC to do it as a joint project.

quote:

You may even have to do the 2.00 to 2.01 upgrade first. I nitice you say that “your NSC said”. Upgreades a re a very complex thing, and not a point for you to start learning on, so if you are upgrading your own system, and are asking basica upgrade questions, you may find that ou are not yet ready to to do this yourselves. If there is a reason that you are not going to do it with your NSC, then at least get a third party consultant (there are plenty here on NOLUG), or at least come to some agreement with your NSC to do it as a joint project.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Jun 16 : 15:53:35

Hello David, first off all thank you for your answer, I understand your point, to keep me patient [:)] To clear up a point, when there is one thing that i learned is, never undertake ANYTHING in IT, (shortest programmers joke:… it should run) i deal now since the early 80’s with IT and since 1999 i develop for Navision. Our old NSC, that deliverd the “base” system does not exist anymore, so to explain a new NSC the whole stuff (also the things, that went into the system in 6 years), so that they can understand what we do and why we do it in that way takes to much time and costs to much. As we started in 1999 we added functions (as there was a need) where some off theses functions are still not implemented in 4.0, what i am trying to say is only a NSC who was the most time involved in our project is realy able to help us. Off course you are right when you say that such a big migration, isn’t a good job for a beginner. When i see, that i cannot handle a job, then i won’t start it without any help. And yes we already consulted our new nsc, but the main part will be manged from our side. Why i asked this question is, when you ask some nsc’s in germany how many mirgration they made to 4.0 (on systems with big code changes), belive the most off them haven’t done a migration from 2.x to 4. on a foreign system, so to keep myself informed, i allways ask several people. When i start a project, i try to catch up the maximum on information from several channels and then start the filtering. That was the reason, why i asked the above question. I will keep you informed when we are done [;)]

Sounds very muc like you have it under control. I totaly agree, bringing in a new NSC, just to do a conversion is not the best solution. What you really need is an independednt consultant to come in and help out, someone that has done upgrades, and can help you with the upgrade, then move on.