Upgrade from 1.20 to 2.50

I would like to know if there is a safe and quick way to upgrade from Navision 1.20 to the 2.50 version. I am talking about a standard Navision Database with no modifications. Can I do a direct upgrade without using the 2.00 and the 2.01 versions? Thanks, Roelof.

I have an answer followed by a question: Answer: You might be able to skip the 2.00 to 2.01 step— but basically you MUST upgrade one version at a time, using the official upgrade kits. You may also have to do some more data entry because 1.20 has some features which were eliminated in 2.X— e.g., there used to be an entire set of journals and ledgers to keep track of Taxes, which are now tracked through the Gen. Jnl/GL area. Question: Do you mean to tell me that you have a customer who is using Navision 1.20 with only the standard objects and NO customizations of ANY sort? Wow, man, you are INCREDIBLY lucky! ------- Tim Horrigan

Hi, I do not know what do you mean direct from 1.2 to 2.5. I made this few times and I never spend more then one day on upgrade (excluding transferring modifications): 1. Transfer all modification to 2.5. 2. Restore 1.20 database in 2.50 (you must rename all objects with duplicate names) 3. Import upgraded 2.5 tables with merge option. 4. Import upgrade 2.0 objects with merge option and run codeunits. 5. Import upgrade 2.01 objects with merge option and run codeunits. 6. Import upgraded 2.50 objects with replace option. Valentin Gvozdev BMI Inc.

1. Import upgraded 2.5 tables with merge option. 4. Import upgrade 2.0 objects with merge option and run codeunits. How do you Import Version 2.00 fobs into a 2.50 Database ?? In the UK we cannot do this unless in text format then you could have problems when you compile! In my experience you need to take your database through all versions running any upgrade codeunits at each stage You need to merge or add any extra fields you may have added to each version. Then add your code changes keys etc: at version 2.50 The upgrade can take 3 - 6 days 1-2 days on code and field changes 1-2 days for a dry run 1.20 - 2.50 1 day on site live Upgrade 1 day upgrade documentation Don’t forget that a lot of the customers custom reports at Version 1.20 will have to be rewritten Amount (£) = Amount (LCY) etc: Optional 1 - 2 days on site support after upgrade because the end user will claim that everything that did not work properly before, now does not work because of the upgrade! Mr David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk Edited by - David Cox on 7/25/00 2:37:18 PM Edited by - David Cox on 7/25/00 2:42:01 PM

There were a lot of changes in 1.3->2 with regards to currencies and exchange rates and the upgrade process from 1.3->2 does the change for this. I have done a 1.3->2.01B in a 1.3->2.00C->2.01A->2.01B process. If the database has no modifications you shouldnt take too long to go from 1.2->2.5 or 2.6. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Criterion Technology Pty Ltd P:+61-2-9436-0436 F:+61-2-9436-1004 E:craigb@c-t.com.au

. o O (I must comment on this) Guys and girls, Are we having this discussion because we forgot to upgrade our customers when new versions were released?? ;-)) . o O (Hmm, I’m probably getting killed for this comment) /Lars

Navision US recently instituted a policy which says that all installations must have an upgrade agreement, along with the usual service agreement. This is a very new policy, however. Previously, upgrades cost extra… My solution center (or more accurately, the solution center I am currently working for) has one customer who agreed to pay for the upgrade but then asked us NOT to upgrade their installation. Their feeling was that the existing installation was 100% bugfree (yeah, right!) and that they had no need for the new functionality (yeah, right!) --Tim Horrigan Tim.Horrigan@emsolution.com