Upgrade estimate from 2.6 to 3.0

Hi all! We are making a proposal to a ‘hot’ prospect, and part of the bid includes a phase for upgrading from 2.6 to 3.0. As I haven’t seen 3.0 yet, I was hoping for a little info from those that have. Obviously programming will be done with the upgrade in mind, so there shouldn’t be a lot of rework there. If somebody could give me a time estimate to take an Advanced Distribution database from 2.6 to 3.0, I’d appreciate it. cheers,

I wouldn’t even start making such estimates. The rumours that I hear is that it will cause you blood and sweat to upgrade even a regular 2.60 to 3.00. And although major parts of AD is standard in 3.00 then it has been more or less rewritten. But I still hope for some better upgrade tools than what we have seen so far. And since they have a few months to go, then I’m still optimistic. So anyone forced me to do a ballpark estimated, then I would think of upgrading the same system from 1.20/1.30 to 2.60. My guess is that it will take almost as much time. If possible I would install it, implement it, but not change any coding (except reports and other minor stuff etc.). Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

The upgrade process will be easiest from 2.6 I expect, having read the information available so far. I agree with Admin regarding modifications - if theres at all a chance of reducing modifications at this point then do so. Try not to modify the areas that have changed a lot like costing, posting to item ledger entry (to do with costing), distribution, contact management… the list does grow quite a bit. Get your hands on the 3.0 Beta 2 and read the change document until you understand the changes that are made so you can make informed decisions about what should or shouldnt be changed at this point. Navision will be providing upgrade procedures and tools to get to v3 but a highly modified database will be harder to upgrade. Craig Bradney Project Manager - Technical Navision Solutions & Services Deloitte Growth Solutions Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu P:+61-2-9322-7796 F:+61-2-9322-7502 E:craig_bradney@deloitte.com.au

I think what the better ways to upgrade from 2.6 to 3.0 are: 1) do not upgrade 2) start new empty database in 3.0 and transfer only opening balances from 2.6 (“year-end” requires). Transfer of customizations is very hard, because versions are changed for all objects. NF3.0 is much complicated when 2.6 (i think it’s very dangerous step).

The main sales, purchase and Jnl Line post codeunits have not changed much at all in version 3.00 beta and so should not be any worse than converting from 2.01 to 2.60. It is true that all the version number labels have been changed but not all the objects?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained… Try it and see. If you say can’t you wont… if you try … you have a chance to. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au