Upgrade 2.0 to 5.0 (was hi)

Hi…

I need to upgrade a Navision Financial 2.0 db to NAV 5.0.

Can anybody give some advices to me?

Is there anything which I need to concern please let me know.

Will I am be able to convert it directly from Ver 2.0 to NAV 5.0 OR will I have to go through some middle layer. Please let me know.

Regards,

You will probably need two steps. First to move from 2.0 to 3.70 then form 3.70 to 5.0.

My guess though is that you have not done this before or you would be asking more detailed questions. If that is that case, then better off will be to contact these guys : http://www.libertygrovesoftware.com/ IMHO they are the best people for the job.

Also I don’t think ANYONE should try learning how to do upgrades, unless they plan to do at least 10 or 20 of them, because the cost of learning will make the first 3 or 4 VERY expensive.

Doing upgrades can be huge task and really tedious.
Try to make a few and you will tell that you don’t want make another. [:P]

I would also give serious thought to treating 2.0 as a legacy application and just implementing version 5.

Hi All, Thank you very much for your valuble comments. When upgrading, I am unable to import the text file generated from “Compare & Merge” tool to the NAV4 .0 database (just restored from the old 2B backup); when I try to import the text file, I get the following error message; “Your program license does not permit you to create the Calc. Pmt. Disc. On Cr. Memos field in the Payment Terms table. Contact the system manager if you need to have your program license updated.” “Import stopped at line no 69” I would greatly appreciate that if somebody can guide me to rectify this issue. Thanks Satheesh

You can not add new fields onto standard tables using a text import (In the NAV range). You must do it using a fob. Then you can import your text.

You have probably heard this a lot and getting tired of hearing it. These are the type of hurdles you will face. Really basic things but can take you a long time to resolve them if you dont upgrade on a regular basis. There are much bigger hurdles. Sorry had to say it. [:)]

If you are planning to do upgrades on a regular basis as part of your job. Your first one is going to be a big learning exercise for you. Good luck and enjoy.